Dermatitis herpetiformis

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have not officially been diagnosed yet but am going through the diagnosis, since I was 15 I’d have this rash on my face always in the same places it would flare up and no matter how much piriton or cream or wouldn’t go I thought it may have just been Eczema, I’m now 18 and I’ve had a bad flare up this week ,I had heard of people with celiacs getting rashes so I looked up today and the rash of very much like mine,always in the same place, blistery type spots ,symetrical (I have on both my cheeks and under my eyes) It came up last week and went down after a couple of days but it’s back this week and worse,I was hoping if anyone had anything I can do to make it go away? I’m becoming very self conscience as I can’t hid it with make up and I can see people in work staring at itsad

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi sian60852

I too am going through the process of diagnosis of possible DH. are you currently gluten free, do you have a diagnosis of coeliac?

I saw a dermatologist yesterday who has put me on a gluten challenge in order that I will hopefully develop some fresh rashes that will allow for adjacent areas to be biopsied

what are your doctors doing for you?

• Posted

Not completely no,I’m starting to cut it out and have been buying gluten free products,I haven’t officially been diagnosed but it’s all pointing that way. I had bloods taken and a stool sample and am now waiting for the results as they told me it can take up to two weeks. 
  • Posted

do not cut out or reduce gluten until all testing is complete, if they think it is DH they will want skin biopsies, if your blood tests are positive you will likely need an endoscopy with biopsies to confirm diagnosis, it is easier to continue eating gluten then to reintroduce it for testing

I was labelled intolerant went gluten free and all symptoms resolved until inadvertently glutened, now they think it could be coeliac I am not looking forward to this challenge

if I can be of any further help please ask

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.