Dermatitis on face/possible allergy

Posted , 3 users are following.

About a year and a half ago I got really bad contact dermatitis on my face where it was bright red. It happened when I was cleaning and stupidly mixed products. I'm guessing whatever chemicals were in the products didn't react well. I also had stomach problems and diarrhoea for a few weeks afterwards. Possibly an allergic reaction to whatever was in the products? The redness would not go away and eventually I was given various steroid creams from my doctor to get rid of it.

I had no problems until a month ago when I was clearing out my wardrobe and the exact same thing happened, only on a lesser scale (dermatitis/stomach issues). I've since cleaned my wardrobe thoroughly (which made the redness worse) and thrown out loads of clothes but the redness keeps occurring. I'm convinced there's something lurking in my wardrobe, which I have an allergy to. Bacteria/dust/clothing/whatever. It's completely foxing me. 

As for the redness, I'm trying to avoid using steroid creams because of the side effects. I'm applying savlon and aloe vera to my face but it's so persistant and stubborn. It took about 4 months to get rid of last time, and that was only after using steroid creams. 

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi James, it would be good if you could find out what substances are causing your allergic reaction. A start could be the list of ingredients of the cleaning products. Did your dermatologist perform an allergy test?
    • Posted

Hi Dan. It was baking soda and a bleach-like chemical based product. The doctor won't refer me to a dermatologist (I've asked). They just keep giving me steroid creams.

• Posted

You could make a list e.g. on your mobile to record every flare-up and the substances you came into contact with. You could also take a photo of the ingredients of cosmetic products like shampoo, soap, etc.

Keep in mind that you may be allergic to some food groups too. Hopefully, a pattern will emerge over time and you will learn what to avoid.

Alternatively, you could make an appointment with a dermatologist at a private clinic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.