Dermatographism

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had this skin disorder for about 2 years now and it is the most frustrating, stressful, continously on your mind and it physically and mentally wares a person down. This disorder is also non-curable. So we have to deal with this for the rest of our lives. No one seems to know what causes this or what will stop this. So in my opinion, if I have to deal with this disorder, I think we should get a lifetime supply of antihistamines. Since doctors continuously to tell us to just take antihistamines to control it and watch what you eat. That's not enough. Basically saying good luck... Well from my experience, people with this disorder or very strong individuals and I tip my hat to every single one of us. Stay strong.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear you have this diagnosis. I have this and asthma both require daily medication to make my life bearable. On top of that I have sluggish pupils, Holmes Adie, so require various glasses especially sunglasses. It will eventually become your new "normal".
  • Posted

So many people in my family have that. No one seems emotinally effected its a condition thats all. Maybe because others have it too. There was a woman who had it severly and literally would draw on her self then photo it and they put this in a museum. She got rich from this. Search this on the net.
  • Posted

Levocetirizine will take the edge off play around until you find the dose (no other anti histamine will work). When this is severe it is NIGHTMARE. You can't do any Physical work at all. You are helpless to it. The problem is there is people with mild varieties which make people think it is trivial. It is not. Usually you will find if you have this if you work as say a Labourer you will end up bed bound within about a week. Pain all over you. You have to be careful with yourself. Basically you are soft as an egg shell when you have this. Simple tasks become painful and difficult. It is not just red marks it goes deeper in some and they feel it in every part of their being. Even typing on a keyboard can cause it in the fingers and hands. I agree it is much worse than the literature leads us to believe. Lastly food and medicines do matter always try new things carefully they can also cause symptoms - especially pain killers for some reason!!! Aspirin and NSAIDS are a one way ticket to being bed bound when you have this if you persist using them. Good luck, finally someone who speaks out about this!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.