Dermoid and polyp removal questions

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

Me again, has anyone had dermoid cyst removal via key hole surgery and polyp removal during same op? Is 2 weeks recovery still ok or will it be longer as 2 procedures to recover from?

Also I have my pre op in a week wot can I expect them to do, I've never had an operation before and feel  nervous?

Thanks,

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure how long recovery is for that operation but I'd have thought it would be at least 6 weeks confused   

At the preop assessment they do your height, weight, test for MRSA (they just twiddle a cotton bud thing in your nostril and one in your groin)   They take blood samples and sometimes do an ECG but not always (I didn't have one) You then get 20 mins or so with a nurse who will ask questions about your health and you have chance to ask her about any worries you may have about the operation.   

• Posted

Hi Janet, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Omg 6 weeks I really hope not, I've only arranged two weeks off as I only started my job 6 months ago and could do with as little absence as possible but know my health comes first.Its only a day procedure so was hoping for quick recovery, guess questions like this are what the pre op is about. I will keep you posted.

• Posted

I was nervous too before mine but I was absolutely fine and quite enjoyed my stay in hospital after all the worrying 
  • Posted

According to The NHS choices website and other medical ones it depends on  the job you do. They state it is generally 1 to 2 weeks
  • Posted

Hi Gemma, I am day 10 of ovary and tube removal via keyhole and to be honest I feel OK. I have already started driving, been taking dog for short 15 minute walks, ironing, light housework etc. I did try a day out with family after 7 days but after an hour of walking I felt sick, sweaty and very weak - so you can over do it.  I think recovery depends on how good your surgeon is and yourself because everyone is different.  Depends what your job is i suppose, I still get tired quite easily but I think you should tell work between 2 - 4 weeks.  As you say your health is the most important thing and if you get sick again you will only be off work later so best to get it all out of the way now.  Janet has explained pre op so hope we have put your mind at rest a bit.  Good luck with it.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply, it's a desk job so non strenuous but it's a 40min drive so more worried bout effects of travelling too soon rather than my job it self being too strenuous. Guess I will just have to wait and see, my company are prepared for 2 weeks but it takes as long as it takes I suppose.

Be glad when it's all over with.

thanks for replying 

x

• Posted

Hi everyone,

so today I had my pre op and they said I will have to stay in overnight and wear a catheter for the first night.

I have a dilemma, it's my mums 50th few days after my procedure and we had already booked a hotel break 2 hours away for 2 nights for 2 days after my op, realistically does anyone think I can still make it? Obviously I wouldn't ge driving and I would be just in the hotel and not doing anything strenuous at all just literally be at the hotel and eating in the on site restaurant.

the nurse who did my pre on said it's not ideal and the main issue would be the journey and she said she can't tell me what to do but she would say if I did go I would need to stop several times and take a short walk to reduce risk of blood clots and not over do it.

she recommended I ask the consultant, I am thinking providing I feel ok I would be able to go but stop every 40mins for a short walk on the journey there and be completely relaxing with a few strolls in the hotel (no stairs would be using a lift) when I'm there, tbh I would probably be relaxing more there than at home?

the nurse did say obviously if there were any after op complications I would need to go to hospital which would be out of the area bt this a very small risk.

thoughts?

usually I wouldn't consider it but it's my mums 50th and they will be taking good care of me.

if I have any complications within 24hours or fel unwell then obviously I won't be going but if I'm feeling ok surely I should be ok?

anyone who already had this procedure advise??

thankyou! 

x

• Posted

Well I would say yes as long as you aren't doing anything strenuous, not driving and you can rest when you need to.  Just see how well you feel after the op, only you will know if you feel up to it or not xxx
    • Posted

Thanks, I just really don't wanna disappoint my mum by missing it and plus if I'm not there she will be worrying all weekend, guess I will just have to see how I feel after and then decide smile 

thanks for your help smile 

• Posted

I'm sure you will be fine, I'm 6 weeks post op now and feel completely normal again, well as normal as I can be lol
  • Posted

You could always wear a pair of those funny green socks for blood clots on the journey
    • Posted

Do what is right for you, that is all any mother wants

Big hug xxx

• Posted

They will make you put the green socks on before the op and you are meant to just take them off for 30 mins whilst you have a shower, so you can take them home with you
    • Posted

Hi Taz, how did your op go, I'm 12 days post op now? x
    • Posted

Not well but that is due to appalling care. At home on oral morphine and in as much pain as was. Never been controlled since op and no one cares.
    • Posted

Oh no I'm sorry to hear that. I can't complain about the care I received it was very good but I must admit I seriously under estimated the pain and recovery needed following this op sad have you tried your gp? x
    • Posted

Spoke to her just now. She is not happy ( though her care before the op was substanded seems to be stepping up to plate now). Feels they should have said it was a major operation and that like they do in other countries we should call it a partial hysterectamy, as saying Daycare laporoscapol salanpingo oopharectomy is very misleading and makes it out to be minor, what was wrong with her saying it? Excuse the spelling but I am in too much pain to concentrate
    • Posted

Glad she seems to be looking into it for you and hope it's all sorted soon. My hospital were reluctant to discharge me as they felt my pain was not under control but I was ready to go home and agreed to go to my GP ASAP if I felt unable to control it. Hope you get it under control soon x
    • Posted

Mine were the opposite and could not have cared less. Was in pain whole time in there and when discharged
    • Posted

Hi Taz, sorry to hear you have had so much pain. Good to see you back on the forums, had been wondering about you. 

Hope you feel better soon

• Posted

One of those things and I must say the last few weeks had led me to expect a lack of care and concern, though I had hoped not. My GP feels could be several weeks and that been misled by surgeon in so much as let believe it was minor op and not the major surgery it actually is. That one to two weeks is not true, she says at least that for the pain to subside and that recovery will be six to eight weeks at best.

At least this computer has a screen reader and dictation software so can still be on this site and talk to my friends, help others smile

• Posted

I'm in Shropshire, thought your hospital sounded like mine in terms of care!

When I was admitteed didnt have a good experience of care, but consultant was lovely so hoping when I have op done care will be better experience.

• Posted

Should be as mine has been problematic from start to finish. The consultant and his team have been a big part of the problem. He is a tutor and the big I am who no one contradicts. Met other team once in hospital after op as he was not there. Wish been under them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.