Dermoid cyst

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a dermoid cyst developed under the tongue. sunblingual. I have been smoking for quite some time. Would that worsen the cyst and cause any infection?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sure. Smoking promotes inflammation. Certainly doesn't help. Have you seen a maxillofacial surgeon yet about rupturing the cyst or surgery? That way you can get rid of it sooner which is better if you are a smoker.

• Posted

What does maxillofacial mean? I am from Hyderabad. Is the surgery a common one? Is this a common cyst?
  • Posted

Have you had a biopsy done on this cyst? In UK anything unusual in the mouth especially if you are a smoker would be biopsied.   Maxillofacial surgeon is one who deals with problems in the neck.mouth and face.
    • Posted

I got an FNAC done at the Diagnostic's and then it was a dermoid cyst. When fnac was done, there was no blood in the syringe. Only a white pus like fluid came out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.