Dermoid cyst

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi i am waiting on my op to remove both dermoid cysts which are both on my left ovary so also having to get my ovary taken away aswell

Not getting my op until march though..but i am sick of being in pain being bloated and constantly feeling tired also getting my period every two weeks its a nightmare..i am quite scared about getting the op but i am hoping to feel alot better after it..my concerns is being off my work on recovery time aswell as some people are saying 8 weeks..also is it common to get alot of trapped wind and the need to urinate as you feel you are bursting but not alot comes out.

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Debbie,

6 month wait for elective surgery!!?? That's ridiculous!!! It's plenty of time to seek out a second opinion. To say it's definite to take out your ovary without seeing if is even compromised is also ridiculous. Many woman in this forum with dermoid cysts are told they might lose the ovary wake up with ovary intact. If your surgeon says maybe ok. But if they say definite, look for another surgeon. Making you wait that long is only going to make you suffer more. Inhumane!

Ask about trying to get your cycle regulated so you don't become anemic before surgery. There are medications that may help.

Yes on the wind and urination. Right before surgery I could only pass gas, but was severely constipated. I was peeing every 20 minutes or so. You may have endometriosis as well.

Depending on the type of incision recovery may be 6-8 weeks. I had a vertical incision from under b-button down and mine was 8 weeks because I had a very active job.

• Posted

Yes he said i would be definately be getting my left ovary removed as the cysts have overtaken my ovary and my ovary was dead

I am getting pain all the time now one of my periods lasted 5 weeks had a week off then they restarted ..getting them every 2 weeks now..its hell..the surgeon didnt seem to think 6 mths was along waiting time but i am getting reviewed after 3.more blood tests and scan..recommended i loose weight before the surgery aswell for anesthetic reasons

I am 41 and not yet had children but havent ruled it out..feeling miserable..😔

• Posted

Hi Debbie. I would say to your surgeon that you will lose weight after he/she removes the dermoids! It's the cysts which cause the weight gain! Not easy to diet when you're ill and possibly anaemic from blood loss twice a month. I think the weight loss they mention is just a ploy to make the waiting period part of your treatment plan. It rarely works when we have cysts. If they are big ones it's like having pregnancy! rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Pollyanna i agree it is easier said than done..you feel bloated all the time miserable and sometimes all you want to do is eat..my left side aches all the time backache and sometimes pain down my left leg..i have 2 cysts both on my left ovary one of them is 6cm..getting more blood tests done in november followed by another scan..god knows what size they will be by then!!
  • Posted

Wow I'm surprised they're putting you off that long. I just found out I havr a 5cm dermoid on my right ovary and my doctor wants it out by the end of the year. I have gained weight, had 2 heavy periods a month with spotting in between, frequent urination and pain...oh my so much pain! I hope you find someone to help you sooner! My doctor also thinks this cyst has caused my testosterone to be a level 60 making me grow hair like a man 😔 it's terribly embarrassing.

• Posted

The surgeon didnt think this was along time to wait..but reading other peoples opinions i think i am defo going to look into it..is this normal to put on weight..thats terrible for you to be growing hair like a man ..i really just want rid of them ..hopefully with a little push i will get to seen alot quicker

Goodluck to you x

• Posted

My dr thinks its prevented me from losing my baby weight. I was losing it and then stopped...now gaining slowly. My baby is 1 now. I meet with a surgeon next month....I'll be devastated if she doesnt want to remove it. My dr said she would though since its causing pain and has messed up my hormones. Goodluck to you as well!

• Posted

Hi Debbie

Thought I'd check in and see if you've had a chance to have your op yet and if so how it went?

I had an op last week, key hole surgery which initially started off as endo removal but my surgeon ended up finding the key driver off all my pain has been due to a twisted ovary and a 5cm dermoid cyst both of which have now been removed. I'm so glad they found this as the pain has been terrible over the last few months, with constant periods, bloating and a lack of energy. Hopefully things turn around post this op and I can't wait for the results which I'm sure I'll feel in the coming weeks. I hope you've managed to get the same satisfaction.

Something unusual (but amazing) is that since the surgery just one week ago I've lost a considerable amount of weight - 4kg. Has anyone else experienced this who has had dermoid removal? Proir to surgery I've always struggled to loose 100grams let alone kg's. Hopefully it's not just a short term thing!

• Posted

Hi nice to hear from you..No i havent had surgery yet!! As i was bleeding alot i hadnt had an up to date smear test..but when i had an appointment at the hospital to discuss my blood results ..that day i wasnt bleeding..so my gyn decided to do a smear there and then..waited on my results which were fine..thank goodness!! He then wanted me to go for a biopsy on the lining of my womb..so that was another wait..got that done about 2 months ago..then waited 5 wks for the result..thankfully they were all clear..now i have another appointment for the 28gh of this month to discuss whats happening nxt!!..so glad everything went well for you xx Thankyou for keeping me in your thoughts..please keep in touch xx 😊

• Posted

Hello-

I am just writing this because I found so much good information on the web.  

My story is that I’ve always had painful/heavy periods and I seemed to always get the stomach flu a few times a year.  On 9/28, I had the worst “stomach flu” of my life. My husband took me to the ER - which was my first time ever. I’m 44 years old:

At the ER I was told that I had a 7 CM dermoid cyst. The ER doctor didn’t think that it was causing my pain and I was sent home with muscle relaxers, as my official diagnosis was back spasms.

I saw my OBGYN a week later and I was operated on Laparoscopy on 10/10. Doctor removed an ovary and well as cyst. My cyst was between my ovary and rectum and as a result I believe I had something called epiploic colon- which was not diagnosed before surgery. A part of my colon had torsed and that was what was causing my pain- most likely due to the pressure of dermoid on it.

I  was back to work in 6 days post surgery.  I was really tired for the first 4 days but the pain was definitely tolerable. Surgery was not bad.  I only took Advil.  I feel a bit different- more subdued then normal but otherwise fine. My belly is still swollen but I can wear normal pants.  I’m 11 days post surgery.

Just posting for those that are anxious about surgery. I know I was.

• Posted

Also one Silver Lining for me is that I’ve lost 13 pounds so far...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.