Dermoid cyst and polycystic ovary

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone.

I've recently been diagnosed with a dermoid cyst and polycystic ovaries.

Between the ages of 14 and 17 I only had four periods. I started the pill for contraceptive reasons at 17 and had regular periods then. I'm 22 now and in April I thought I was pregnant- morning sickness, tender boobs, weight gain, needing to pee frequently but negative pregnancy tests. Then i had heavy midcycle bleeding which lasted 9 days and bad pain in my right side which has been on going ever since.

My doctor sent me for an ultrasound which showed I have a 4.5cm dermoid cyst on my left ovary (they think there's fat in it but they're not sure) and that my right ovary is polycystic.

I met with the gynae for the first time last week and didn't like his attitude. He said "well everyone has a cyst on their ovary" and that my pain is probably just pms. He told me to stop taking the pill and I have another appointment with him at the end of september.

I'm just so confused about what's causing all the pain in my right side now. And I don't understand why he took me off the pill.

Can anyone shed some light on the situation?? Any thing at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the replies in advance 😊😊

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

When you say you have pain in your right side, where do you mean? 
    • Posted

Under my ribcage, under my hip bone and low on the right side of my pelvis. It's not constant pain but I get all of them at least a few times a day

• Posted

What kind of pain are you getting, particularly under the ribs, how does it feel? Is it the same time as your hip and pelvis or at different times? Are you having any other symptoms? Like difficulty taking a breath in or palpitations? Sorry to ask so many questions!
    • Posted

All different types of pain, sometimes at the same time but mostly at different times. Under the ribcage is like a stabbing pain, hip is like a pinching pain and then the pelvic pain is an ache. Don't have any shortness of breath but i get palpitations during the first two days of my period. Ask away! I hope my descriptions make sense

• Posted

does the pain under the rib cage go from front to back and has it got any better since you have been off the pill?
    • Posted

No it's in one exact spot at the front and now that you mention it I don't think I've had it at all since I stopped the pill

• Posted

Having polycystic ovarian syndrome and being on the pill puts you at greater risk of blood clots, that maybe why you were taken off the pill. Especially as you are having chest pain. Have they given you any blood tests?
    • Posted

Haven't given me blood tests. My gynae was very dismissive of my pain, said it was just pms. So frustrating feeling like I'm not being listened to at all

• Posted

You don’t get chest pain from PMS. You can get pelvic and hip pain from your PCOS, I get pain there not always when it my period. If you are unhappy with your gynaecologist, see another one. Some doctors can be very dismissive and rude and when it comes to a very personal area, you need to feel like you can trust your gynaecologist. As for the chest pains, ask for a D-dimer blood test, it is a clotting test, just to be on the safe side. I had chest pains the last time I was on the pill and stopped taking it immediately. The pains stopped, but then I got palpitations and a year later I started getting breathless and chest pain again. I had developed multiple pulmonary emboli. It was misdiagnosed for years as anxiety and musculoskeletal pain. I only got diagnosed earlier this year after I arranged a CT scan with contrast because I felt like I was going to die, which I could have done! Your risk goes up if you are on the pill and have PCOS, have smoked, have been overweight, have any relatives who have had clots, have had an injury or illness or leg in a plaster cast. There are other risk factors as well, but I won’t bore you! It is just if you do have a clot or mini clots, best catch them early, as you recover quicker and easier. There is a good chance you will be clear because you have age on your side as well as you have only been on the pill for 5 years. I was on the pill on and off for about 12-14 years something like that, I can’t remember exactly. Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.