Dermoid cyst during pregnancy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I'm two months pregnant and have been diganosed with a 15cm dermoid cyst on my left ovary. The doc has told me to get to get it removed through an open surgery as laproscopy is not possible due to the size. She has advised surgery in my 16th week of pregnancy as the cyst is too big to let the baby grow fully. She is also very very skeptical about the baby surviving and keeps telling me to mentally prepare for a possible abortion. The baby is growing healthy so far. I really need to know if anyone has been through a similar experience and get all the support i can! I'm also very scared of having my left ovary removed during surgery as i desperately wanna have children. What should i doo? Can i not have the surgery yet? I'm so confused and scared! I don't want to lose the baby!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello. I'm so so sorry your going through such s terrible time. Apart from being told I have a complex cyst on my ovary this week, I don't really have any advice to give. But they are obviously concerned about the cyst otherwise they would not remove it. Unfortunately this has put you in a terrible predicament. Have they said that they can operate and the baby might survive? Or are they suggesting you abort the pregnancy before the surgery?

You must be so confused but what I do know from lots of research and reading through people's experiences, is that you can still conceive successfully with one ovary.

I'm sure their concern is the size of the cyst and the chances of it continuing to grow. I expect they want to ensure that the cyst is not going to affect you in other ways too.

I'm so sorry that I can't be of help but if you ever want to off load or chat then I'm here.

Sending my best wishes

Vicky xxx

• Posted

Hey Victoria thankyou so much for your reply and kind words. Yes the size of the cyst is too big to let the baby grow so surgery is inevitable. I just got another doctor's opinion today and he told me the chances of losing the baby are rare.

About the ovary, he told me he will try to save as much part of it as possible, but the damaged tissues will have to be removed. I'm just 23 and yet to start a family so it's a little scary. But I'm still so much more relieved after visiting him. He is schedueling the surgery in mid of May. I'm just hoping it all goes well.

• Posted

Hello.

Good news that they're going to try and save some of the cyst and also great that your baby's survival chances are high.

I wish you all the luck in the world for May. Please stay in touch and if you need a chat before then, please don't hesitate.

Your very brave and strong!

Best wishes

Vicky

XxxxxX

• Posted

Oh my goodness this is terrible. Can you at least get a second opinion? I have never heard of anyone having that type of surgery while pregnant. 
    • Posted

Hello. Yes i have taken three doctor opinions and they all believe that the surgery is inevitable. Since the size is big, they can't do it key hole. Sigh. Just hoping it all goes well now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.