Dermoid cyst - my 1st panic about removal...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been posting in here for a while, up until last night i've been up for surgery and in fact hoping to get on the waiting list 24th Feb when I meet with the Gyno for the 2nd time.

Brief background, they found I had a cyst on my right ovary during a routine scan whilst pregnant in 2010. They never explained anything to me so it was never spoken about again ie No watch and wait approach.

Skip forward to 2016 and during pregnancy again no cyst was mentioned again so I figured it had gone and then in Sept 2016 I started to experience daily period pain which on 3 occasions turned to bed ridden pain in my lower right quadrant radiating around the back, I thought appendix or gallstones so I went to the docs 3 times on emergency appointments.

After an ultrascan they saw the cyst had grown from 3cm (2010) to 5cm (2016) ok slow growing but still, now I understand about dermoid that means it's not going away by itself.

I'm currently on pain killers which I take most days. I generally feel low and for 4 months didn't exercise, drank more and just felt like I didn't really want to be around anyone at times, including my kids who I found hard to be around at times.

In late Dec 2016 I met with the gyno and because the docs had ordered an mri on my back (which they thought was the pain - Not my cyst - Red herring they still say) The gyno said come back in a month and we will review but he was mor than happy to remove it.

I've been reading threads, researching the operation etc and then suddenly last night I read a story on here I think. It just really made me think about the operation and what am I doing considering having it done!?

CHILDREN

I have 2 kids - 1 nearly 16 months, I wouldn't be able to lift him I beleive?

WORK

I work practically fulltime - I take it i'd need 1-2 weeks off sick?

HOLIDAY

This scares me the most, we have booked to go on hols Aug 29th, What if the appoint was only a few months before, would I be ok?

Selfishly I wanted to look my best and start exercising again soon, I take it that's a no no for a while?

Obviously I can ask 24th Feb what the waiting list is roughly but I'm now wondering has anyone knowingly known about their dermoid and just left it there???

I'm confusing myself now!!! Even looked into how much cancelling the holiday would be but that sounds silly to me.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

This was my experience in Surrey, UK:

From going on the waiting list, to the op, was 6 weeks. I had a slightly smaller cyst and they saved the ovary. They only just managed to do that with a 4cm dermoid, so the bigger it gets, the harder it is to keep the ovary. That's where waiting is not a good thing. There is still a chance that you could lose an ovary now, but they're pretty good at trying their hardest to save it.

You won't be able to lift your child for a while. 

It depends what job you have. If you sit at a desk, you'll need a couple of weeks. If it's physical, you'll need several more.

For the holiday, it really does depend on when you have your op. If it's done by the end of spring, you'll be fine for your August holiday. If, for any reason, the op looks like it will be nearer your holiday (it won't be if you do go on the list by the end of this month), you can always tell them you can't have the op until after your holiday. Don't worry about this part, it's easy to work around.

Some people are up and raring to go within a few days, some in a few weeks. Everyone is very different. It took me at least 6 weeks to feel okay again. But, I work from home, so was working again after a week. Just make sure you've got the support you need.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

• Posted

6 weeks sounds great, I doubt mine would be anywhere near as fast as that even though I've been in pain since sept, can I ask how do you feel now?

Can you exercise?

I have a sit down job so that would be ok but is driving an issue?

Thanks x

• Posted

I think the waiting time depends where you are in the country. Fingers crossed it won't be too long for you.

I must admit, it took me about 2 months before I could exercise properly. I'm not really big on exercise anyway, walking and dancing being my main form. It was much quicker being able to walk. Dancing was about 2 months.

Driving was an issue for me for about a month. Again, some people are able to do it a lot quicker. 

• Posted

This is messing me with my head.

I've just put my baby to bed in his cot, I wouldn't be able to do that would I! Hubby works shifts so I can't be alone with the kids can I?!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.