Dermoid Cyst on right ovary, most pain on left side?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello can someone please give me some advice as im so worried sad im gynaecologist originally thought i had endometriosis because i would get pain just before my period only (for 6 months).. i saw her two weeks ago and my untrasound scan showed that i had a large cyst on my right ovary. She sent me for an MRI. Since i last saw her 2 weeks ago my symptoms have escalated..i was getting a dull ache on my left side all the time for days and now it's escalated even further to both ovaries! And i went to a&e and managed to see a gynae there and got my MRI results early and it said i have dermoid cyst of 10cm and its likely they'll take my ovary! Which im so upset about.. it also said in the notes the other ovary had a 'polycystic appearance'... he sent me home but im still in pain all the time, what do i do? Is this normal? Id say the pain is about a 5/10 and feels sharp every now and then and it never goes away. He felt my stomach and said its soft and sent me home... im worried ;(

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emma,

I know exactly how you're feeling as I was in the same situation last year. I had a 23cm dermoid on my right ovary which resulted in me losing it.

I had a bit of pain but also other symptoms. If it gets worse then I would recommend going back to your gp or gynaecologist. Also if you are wanting children to discuss this with the gynaecologist as they're the best person to talk to about it.

I'm not sure where you are in the world but sometimes if you have polycystic ovaries the surgeon can help remove some of the cysts. Mine have been removed in the passed.

Take care x

• Posted

Thank you for getting back to me Lottie! I already have one daughter, it's future children that is my concern sad what other symptoms did you have? Did yours rupture or twist at all?

Relating to the polycystic ovaries - i haf no idea they could remove the cysts.. so this has lifted some of the worry off me a bit.. maybe there is some hope for me.

Just so strange how so much of the pain is on the left, when the cyst is on right? Did you experience this? Xx

• Posted

Hi again,

I'm four weeks post op on my left ovary. It started twisting. Still have it but they removed the cysts that had grown. Yes, had all the weird pains you have sad.

My other symptoms were sharp pains running up my side, breathlessness (kind like pregnancy symptoms but without the baby), I couldn't bend and lift things, dull pains,  needing to pee a lot. 

If you can, maybe ask to save some eggs for the future? I'm not sure if I can anymore as this has been my 3rd op with dermoids and polycystic ovaries. 

I hope you get a good result x

• Posted

Oh i hope you are recovering well! 🤕I've also been experiencing shortness of breath and peeing a lot.. i think after reading your reply i think will.take another trip to the doctor tomorrow, i just don't feel right ? how do they diagnose it? I hope he doesn't just feel my tummy and send me home.. my tummy feels soft.. just obviously tender in parts.

Im sorry to hear you've had such bad luck with dermoids and pcos.. can't believe you've had it 3 times! 😔

X

• Posted

They diagnosed my 23cm dermoid through physical examination, X-ray and cat scan. 

This year was just through ultrasound / transvaginal ultrasound. 

Please get checked out and let us know how it goes.

Take care x

• Posted

Hi there I had the same you describe with opposite side pain... however mine was left side cyst but pain on my right (they thought I had appendicitis at one point as the pain was so prominent on my right side!) , it was explained the ovary in which cyst is on could be leaning over and cyst can freely move around, causing pain the other side. Try not too worry too much about fertility, it will likely be advised you have the cyst removed but removing the whole ovary is last resort, they will do their upmost to keep your ovary and even so, if removed and having just one ovary - there's alot of stories to suggest the success rate of pregnancy is still good smile the sooner you consult with gynecology and get the ball rolling the better, I wish you the best xx

• Posted

I went to the hospital last night in the end because the pain kept me up! Got to a&e and they just sent me home and told me to take painkillers! 😠 today is the day they reviewed my case and the secretary of my gynae called to tell me it will be surgical and they want me to take a bloodtest but not sure why? She couldn't tell me, they've already had 3 blood tests off of me. I just hope she's actually made them aware that the pain has worsened and not lied to me on the phone to keep me sweet! NHS are a nightmare..

• Posted

Hi Emmalee,

I'm in a similar boat to you. Was in A&E on Sunday for pain from a cyst and difficulty breathing but all my tests were showing extremely normal. Had an ultrasound and they found a 7cm dermoid cyst on my right ovary. My symptoms for the last month have been: alot of referred pain (i feel pain also in my left ovary even though it's fine) pain in my hip and pain in my lower back and pain in my right ribs, waves of nausea, major fatigue, constipation and diarrhea, and having to pee CONSTANTLY. It's awful, so I'm right there with ya. They sent me home with all these symptoms as well.

Saw a consultant on Wednesday and she said I'll need the surgery. She put me on the list and said I'll get my date by post. I wish she could have told me right then and there.

The waiting is the hardest part!

(I also had all the bloods done, CA125 and all the rest. They do them just as precaution even though dermoids are typically benign so don't worry at all about that.) xx

• Posted

Sounds exactly what I'm going through! 🤔 let me know how you get on! I've got to be seen in clinic next Thursday to discuss surgery they've just told me.. by the coldest gynaecologist ive ever spoken to in the phone... i hope he's not the surgeon as well! He didnt even say he was going to try and save my ovary, he just sounded so cold like he didnt care, like he wanted to get the job done 😔

• Posted

That sounds terrible to have such a cold call. Did they eventually let you know if they'll try and save your ovary or not? My surgery was just scheduled for a month from now and they mentioned that they intended to save my ovary. I'm sure it's their intention to do everything possible, but we never know what will happen until their inside I guess. xx

• Posted

Same symptoms here: hip pain, pain in ovary and referred back pain.  Did 30 min on the elliptical last night. Felt fine but about 4 hrs later I had pain and was nauseous. I don’t have too pee a lot, but when I do, it’s hard for me to go. Like it feels like I have a kidney stone but I def know I don’t. 

Can you give me a rundown on the tests you had? I went in and they said no masse but it was very painful when he pressed on the left side. I go in for the ultrasound Tues and the following Thurs “the exam”. I kind of thought it was thorough enough but I guess not! 

• Posted

Hi cnbanister,

So sorry you're going through these strange symptoms. I remember I oftentimes thought I was going crazy because I couldn't explain to my family and friends all the waves of weird pain that was happening all over my body. As for the tests...

For blood: I had 2 CA-125 tests, 1 CA 19-9, 1 CEA, and 1 that I have no idea what it was called.

I had two CA-125 tests because I knew I was scheduled to have my blood taken with the NHS whilst I was on my period, and I have heard that menstruation (among other things) can give false positives on this test. So I paid for a private GP to test me when I wasn't menstruating and my results came back within 12 hours as a level 6 (normal.) My other test came back from my period as a 7 (also normal.) But I feel it was worth me calming my nerves by getting this test done quicker and on my terms.

My first abdominal and transvaginal ultrasound could only see a 'complex cystic area', but two weeks later I ended up in A&E and had another ab/vag ultrasound and the radio. clearly saw a large dermoid and I was immediately put on the surgery wait list.

Don't worry about any of these tests, they're only slightly uncomfortable and they should all be very kind about it. Even if your blood comes back abnormal, there's a high false positive rate with many of them so don't fret. It's really difficult for them to diagnose anything without an ultrasound or a CT scan or similar.

I hope you find an answer soon! xx

• Posted

That’s a lot of blood tests, but you have  to take control for your own good.  Good for you!

What was the next step after the ultrasound? The blood test? I’m a virgo so I need an idea as to what to expect smile

• Posted

Yes, after the ultrasound the next step was blood tests. Only because my ultrasound shows a complex cyst which calls for these kinds of blood tests. It doesn't always. The step after that completely depends on the size and type of the cyst you may have. If it is a dermoid cyst, it won't be going away, so depending on the size you'll most likely either "watchfully wait" to see how quickly it's growing or surgically remove it. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.