Dermoid cyst removal via open surgery 5 days from now. Tips for pre op and post op recovery please.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, i have been experiencing bloating, gas pain, nausea, fatigue and severe pms for almost a year and last sept 5 i went for a check up due to pain on my right side. Thought it was a urinary infection but it came out normal. Finally went to an OB GYNR and was diagnosed with a 7cm dermoid cyst on my right ovary. I went through some further tests and check ups to make sure i wont have any more problems prior to my operation. I am scared about the surgery as the doctor said she will remove it via open surgery like a c section and she will try to do it in a bikini cut. I am such a worry wart. Any tips from anyone who went through the same and probably had their dermoid cyst removed already? how long was your recovery time and how was it? I would appreciate all of your responses. Tha k you so much

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Good morning ☺️

I know exactly what you are going through, I had exactly the same experience and felt like no one was listening to me! I eventually plucked up the courage to call an ambulance and I was taken to A&E put on a drip and taken for further tests...! Cut a long story short, they found a 11cm x 10cm dermoid cyst suffocating my right ovary. I had keyhole surgery through my belly button, side of stomach and one 3 inch cut to my bikini line. They had to remove both the cyst and my right ovary because Where the cyst had caused the ovary to die it was risky leaving it in there! My recovery on the other hand was a little worse for wear. I had to stay in hospital because following surgery I had a little infection on my stomach and bruising covered my whole stomach 😕. In total I was in hospital in a lot of pain for a bout 3-4 days! But once home and relaxed in my own home my finishing recovery was about 2-3 weeks because I went back to work on light duties. Maybe sooner than I should've but I feel fine now... I am suffering with mild depression and anxiety tho because of the loss of my ovary tho, but you will be fine I promise because every day is getting better for me 😌 always talk about your troubles and worries! I LEARNT THAT ☺️ Xxx take care and let me know xxxx

Good luck

Love Stacey xxxxx

• Posted

Hi stacey! Thanks for your reply. I really have bad health anxiety so it's making everything worse. I am worried too about the hormonal changes i might experience if they happen to remove my right ovary as well with the cyst. Did you have the same symptoms as mine as well before having your dermoid removed?
    • Posted

Hey ☺️

I had a lot of bloating and stomach pain but I thought this was my kidneys and a urine infection... But it proved to be my ovary and a cyst... I only found this out because they put me through for scans and multiple blood tests...! The hormone side of things isn't too bad I do admit I was very emotional a few weeks after the op but that's expected... My left ovary now compensates for my right one where I had it removed. I still have some pain on my right side but it's just phantom pains which is so weird lol... How old are you? I'm 25 with no children... Xxxxx

• Posted

Hi, seems like we have the same symptoms, but i also suffer from nausea every now and then and i think it's also because of this cyst.. i can feel most of the symptoms when my period is coming. I thought it was just bad PMS.. did you also feel fatigued and tired before? I am only turning 24 this november and no kids as well. I am from the philippines by the way smile
    • Posted

Ohhh wow smile on the on the side of the world from me 😆 I'm from Portsmouth, England... I was feeling very tired yes but I just thought that was from working too much etc... I got very down about everything leading up to my surgery because they left me in limbo to whether they were going to remove my cyst or cyst and ovary 😕 I got very upset easily on the talk of having children.... I had my surgery in March this year xxx
    • Posted

I got very down also crying almost everyday thinking i have ovarian cancer. 😂 that was few days before i found out i had the cyst. Googling my symptoms was a very bad idea.
    • Posted

Do you have iMessage, Viber, Facebook or something so we can talk more. 😊 Sorry, I'm just too desperate to find some comfort before my surgery and after, I'm just so glad you took a bit of your time to reply to my post. I really appreciate it. Haha
    • Posted

I'm not on Facebook or any of the others the only way you will be able to chat to me is by email ... But it's being processed by the moderators ATM ? It may appear it may not we shall see 😆 Xxx
    • Posted

So I'm not sure if this helps or not but I have the same issues and will be having the full open surgery in a couple weeks.  They are taking my Left ovary and tubes on that side and will look at the right side while in there.  I was told though that nothing would change..  I would still have regular periods, the egg(s) would just all come thru on the Right side..  My Dr told me that it wouldn't stop my periods or my chances of getting pregnant in the future.  Stacey have you had this prove to be true?  Or did things stop or change after your surgery?  

I am very nervous for my surgery and the recovery for the same and reading your back and forths have helped make me feel like I'm not crazy for being worried!!  So thank you!! smile 

• Posted

Hey quigsjen ☺️ Hope your ok smile xx yes I still have periods and I'm still able to have children just my fertility dropped by 30% I had my right ovary removed but my tube stayed I think but not 100% on that... Your ovary that is left over will compensate your ovary that your losing smile it's not all as bad as it seems ... But you will experience some slight phantom pains which in still having 7 months ... Let me know if you have any more questions smile xxxx
    • Posted

My anesthesiologist said they will do the spinal/epidurial anesthesia for my surgery. And something to relax me, but they said i wont be completely knocked out. So that means i will be half awake during the procedure. 😢 how about you stacey? Did they put you under general anesthesia?
    • Posted

Morning x Erm yes I was completely out because I was asked which procedure I wanted ... I'm not very good with needles and operations so I would probably pass out lol xxx
    • Posted

It's good that they asked you what you wanted to have. Im scared with the spinal anesthesia it's the same anesthesia used for patients who's about to give birth. Lol
    • Posted

ohhh I don't know if I could handle being awake for this.. but I have jokingly said that I was going out on maturnity leave and was going to finally give birth to an alien child..  It's sad.. out of work long enough to have a baby without the 18 yr expense (hopefully)!! cheesygrin

Good luck with yours!!

• Posted

Completely understand!!!  I have 3 1/2 weeks left to wait and have already been waiting 3 or so weeks..  It's no fun! 

You will do fine.. You got this!  

• Posted

The waiting is really the hardest part! Googling and reading about the surgery also doesn't help sometimes. Hahaha. What's the size of your dermoid cyst?
    • Posted

On the left is 7.6cm but they keep saying it's complex looking and they aren't sure what it really looks like so they don't want to break it up so they are going to take the whole thing at once.  That's why I need to complete open surgery so they can see it all and take everything on that side.. and then also take a smaller cyst off my right size.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.