Dermoid cyst: to remove or not to remove!

Posted , 15 users are following.

hi, i do hope someone could give me some advice.  i have a 3cm dermoid on one of my ovaries.  i've been seen by two consultants at two hospitals (went for a second opinion). 

one says conservative management is fine as i have no symptoms (although in the last 5 months i've had two mid-cycle bleeds which is why i was scanned in the first place) - consultant says this won't be to do with cyst.  he said the cyst has been with me since birth and is still relatively small particularly compared to ones they see in their unit.

other consultant wants to remove it but says she will probably remove all the ovary too because i'm nearly 45, have had my children etc etc and can be dangerous to have leakage from the cyst into the ovary.

i need someone to give me a definite answer as i'm finding it hard to know waht to do.

i would love to avoid surgery but there's always that nagging feeling of what if i leave it alone and then something worse happens down the line.

any advice is very, very welcome - thanks!

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Request you to kindly kindly please give me the name and contact information of your Doctor

I really need the help of a Doctor who can remove the cyst and save the ovary

I don't have kids yet and really hope to have kids

Thank you for your time

Appreciate your help

• Posted

Hi! I'm 23 and have 2 kids. I was diagnosed with a 9cm cyst in November of 2013 via CT scan after pain on and off on my left side for months, some days I could hardly get out of bed. It was so big that you could see it when I would lay down flat, we thought it was maybe a hernia. I was told that I would probably lose my left ovary depending on how bad the cyst had hurt it. I went into surgery December 5th, and had 3/4 of the ovary removed along with the cyst which was now college regulation size football. I still have some pain but I was also recently diagnosed with Crohn's disease and my intestine pushes against my scar tissue. I say get it done, you don't know how big it may get and it will cause you so much pain the bigger it gets. I'm happy to finally have mine gone after all of the months I dealt with it, ignoring it because I had just had my youngest child.

• Posted

I had a dermoid cycst removed, together with my left ovary, when I was 24. They also operated on my right ovary as apparently the surface was damaged showing loads of little cysts. So they turned it inside out. I was told that I will not be able to have kids, but I managed to have 2 smile The removal operation was not very hard, few days in hospital and after the stitches were out I would not know anything was done. Even my periods stayed regular. If I were you I would have the dermoid cyst removed, including the ovary. Apparently they can turn nasty in later stages, so even if it's stable now I would still have it removed. Hope this helps. 

• Posted

Forgot to say I had the operation nearly 40 years ago smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.