dermoid cysts - how fast do they grow? weird symptoms? any advice appreciated.

Posted , 5 users are following.

hey everyone ! how are you guys feeling?

i actually had a rather large ovarian dermoid removed several weeks ago but they didn't remove the one on the other side because it's still pretty small (for now, they'll keep an eye on it).

symptoms were the constant pinching, constant nausea, constant aching, and so on. my legs feel asleep easily as well (i think it was pressing on my nerves). im still having a bunch of symptoms since surgery (not as much though), so i'm confused if this could be it.

does anyone have any idea how fast these things can grow or does anyone else have one that grew rapidly ?

thank you !!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

I've recently had 2 large dermoids removed ( both ovaries) my consultant did say they 're slow growing cysts & could have been there for about 10 years & if they hadn't been picked up on a scan they could have sat there for another 10 years! I have read that elsewhere too & have heard they do a watch & wait on smaller ones.

Seems odd you're still having symptoms though maybe get checked out by your Dr again? How recently was your surgery I'm 3 weeks post open surgery & obviously still recovering but it may be that you're still recovering from your actual op? Did you have keyhole or open? 

Hope this helps I know it's a worry & can imagine you just want to get back to normal now x

• Posted

I'm several weeks post-op. My operation was key hole but it ended up being more complicated than expected. How it got so bad without scans picking it up, i have no clue. it's weird.

I've been back to my dr a few times and had labs and tests done but my symptoms are driving me nuts. Sometimes its constant other times it's intermittent.

Thank you ???

• Posted

Hi, I've read online that ovarian dermoid cysts normally grow around 1 to 2mm per year. However saying that, I have òne on my left ovary that in April 2017 measured 10cm done by MRI scan and after 6 months had another MRI scan in October 2017 and it measured 12cm. So mine has grown 2cm in 6 months which my gynea seemed quite concerned about. I saw my gynea last week and he's booked me in for another MRI scan for October 2018 to hopefully be able to have it removed. I have trouble with my legs too, very achy, stiff and heavy. Also having bladder and bowel issues and some groin, stomach and back pain.

• Posted

Hi !

The cyst that they did take out was fairly large but no one knows how long mine had been there as mine was coincidentally discovered in the ER during a scan due to sudden onset of pain and symptoms. 

Come to think about it, I did have unexplained cramps now and then for a few months before the cyst was discovered.

Denise, since you have so many symptoms, is it possible for your GYN to put a rush on your scan especially since you have so many symptoms (did you explain your discomfort to him) ? 

Thank you ♥♥♥

• Posted

I had one on my right side and it disappeared just let your doctor keep an eye on it to see if it is growing or if it is going to disappear like mine did
  • Posted

Hi!

I just had surgery a week ago and still have pain where they took the cyst out the size of a lemon! It doesn't hurt as much as when the cyst was in there though. My doc at the post op appointment said it takes 4 to 6 weeks for the healing. Your still swollen from the surgery and body is healing.  Do you still have the symptoms? It gave me nausea , shaking, dizziness and even anxiety probably because I didn't know what was wrong with me. It is on our lady parts so Im sure it throughs off our hormones somehow. I hope you feel better.

• Posted

Hey deedee !

My surgery was several weeks ago, about the healing time your doc is telling you. I still have a lot of symptoms and i'm getting annoyed but i understand that doctors can't just snap their fingers and know what's wrong, surgery really does deal lot of stress on your body.

I've been getting the same symptoms and sometimes they're constant, other times intermittent. other symptoms they can't explain so they've been running exams,etc.

Thank you ????

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.