Dermoid Ovarian Cyst

Posted , 35 users are following.

Hello.

I have just been diagnosed with a 10cm dermoid cyst. I had never heard of this before and after doing a little research - am scared stiff! I am awaiting a consultation appointment to discuss surgery but have been advised it is likelyl to be removed by open surgery due to the size - and may involve removing my right ovary too. I am 51 so not concerned with fertility - just recovery! I have also been advised surgery is likely to be in around 3 months but this does seem a long time to me. After suffering years of pain in my right side/groin and just returning home from 6 days in hospital with what appeared to be torsion - I am quite scared. What is an average recovery time for this type of op? In these difficult times (I work for my local authority) I worry about having a long time from work.

I've never had an operation and I am really scared silly. Any advice would be most welcome please.

Thank you

Dawn

1 like, 99 replies

99 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Sent to early,

is there anything I should avoid whilst waiting for surgery, I had just had my first horse riding lesson after years when I was diagnosed but now I dunno if I should continue or if it will put a strain on the cyst?

i can't find much helpful info on what not to do?

hope you can help 

smile

• Posted

Hi Gemma,

Just saw a surgeon today about a recently discovered 9cm dermoid cyst on my right ovary and he told me I must take it easier before surgery and not to engage in anything more than mild activity to prevent risk of torsion/rupture. Hope this helps.

Good luck

• Posted

Oh, P.S. I was told 9cm is too big for laparoscopy and I have to have open surgery sad
    • Posted

Hi Jayne 

Thank you for taking the time to reply, think I best avoid horse riding until after the op then, I thought that was prob the case but was going not. 

I should have asked my consultant but I went knowing I has a polyp and was a little surprised when they explained about the cyst too.

Mine is 7cm and I'm worried with wot will be 4/5 months since the cyst was discovered before I have my op that it might grow and make key hole no longer an option, I have no idea how quickly these things grow ?!

When's your op?

Good luck 😀

• Posted

I had a 10cm dermoid cyst on my left ovary and it was removed successfully lapriscopically by a professional specialized surgeon.  Here I am 3 weeks post and I am almost at 100% recovery.  I would look around your town or city and search for a more experienced surgeon! 

If you have any questions please ask. <3 best wishes! best="">

• Posted

Hi Gemma, 

I am not sure how fast dermoids grow.  I am aware that they can grow fast or slow so no telling how fast they grow. 

I had lapriscopy surgery done on my left ovary for a 10 cm dermoid cyst.  A specialized surgeon removed it with minimal scarring and now I am almost healed 100% post 3 weeks.There is hope! I highly encourage you and others to go a speicalized surgeon in the field of dermoid cyst removal.  I recommend to lay low, relax, and not to do anything strenous until removal and recovery are complete. 

• Posted

HI Thanks so much for your message. I am seeing a gyne surgeon next week as am now back in UK. Pls do let me know where n who did yours. Glad to near you are doing well!
    • Posted

Hi, yes i want to be active but dont want to risk the awful pain again. No surgery date yet, but I think they grow so quickly... but several websites say it depends on the person! Hope things get sorted soon for you.
    • Posted

Hi I live in Oregon (US) and I had my surgery done at Legacy Meridian with Melissa Pendergrass OBGYN. 
    • Posted

Thanks guys, I will keep exercise to a minimum which tbh is no chore lol!

unfortunately I am relying on the NHS so will be a case of sticking with whatever surgeon I get I'm assuming?

will keep you all updated,

just another question has anyone had an ovarian polyp and cyst removal in the same op? That's what they are planning to do if my polyp hasn't gone on its own, will the recovery be longer? 

• Posted

Hi this week I've been diagnosed with a 7.5cm teratoma which I think is the same as a dermoid cyst on my left ovary after months of things wrong with me and a ct scan as they thought I had kidney stones unfortunately my doctor gave me little to no information about this and I am absolutely terrified! I'm 23 years old with a 4year old son and I'm scared how long yhis is going to take to sort out I am in quite a bit of pain my back is really hurting and the front where my ovary is is painful like a stabbing feeling sad I haven't seen a gynecologist yet and God knows how long that will take I ended up back at the docs today for pain relief and was given codeine so I am hoping that will help but I'm just wondering if any of you ladies had pain like this? I've never had an operation or much wrong with me so I am absolutely terrified about having it removed and recovery etc sad would be great to hear back from someone to maybe ease my mind as unfortunately I am a born worrier! Thanks 
    • Posted

Hi <3 i wouldn't worry! i had pain, fatigue, and loss of appetite as well and was diagnosed with 10cm dermoid cyst. i would recommend seeking a specialized obgyn and get removed as soon as you can. you will be okay as recovery is quick!!!  i="" wouldn't="" worry!="" i="" had="" pain,="" fatigue,="" and="" loss="" of="" appetite="" as="" well="" and="" was="" diagnosed="" with="" 10cm="" dermoid="" cyst.="" i="" would="" recommend="" seeking="" a="" specialized="" obgyn="" and="" get="" removed="" as="" soon="" as="" you="" can.="" you="" will="" be="" okay="" as="" recovery="" is="">
    • Posted

Thanks for replying! Trouble is I can't afford to go private cause if I could I could get it removed within 2weeks! So I've gotta go through nhs was referred to gynecology Monday but could wait up to 6weeks for initial app then no idea how long after that just worried how big its going to grow between now and then! I'm extremely tired too appetite is still there although I gave up smoking a few.month's ago so think that's contributing to the hunger lol what did they suggest to you for the pain? 
    • Posted

They gave me oxycotin and hydocodon with miralax use due to the opiates causing constipation! The best advice is to relax as much as possible as to not cause any further complications. You should be completely fine <3 dermoids can grow fast or extremely slow...although if your stabbing pain is unbearable (even after pain nedication) i would go ahead and make that appointment through private because if it is growing inside you quickly you want to avoid cyst rupture or ovarian torsion (ovary could twist) which could cause removal of your ovary and other parts. your health is most important! dermoids="" can="" grow="" fast="" or="" extremely="" slow...although="" if="" your="" stabbing="" pain="" is="" unbearable="" (even="" after="" pain="" nedication)="" i="" would="" go="" ahead="" and="" make="" that="" appointment="" through="" private="" because="" if="" it="" is="" growing="" inside="" you="" quickly="" you="" want="" to="" avoid="" cyst="" rupture="" or="" ovarian="" torsion="" (ovary="" could="" twist)="" which="" could="" cause="" removal="" of="" your="" ovary="" and="" other="" parts.="" your="" health="" is="" most="">
    • Posted

Well I've now taken 2 doses of codeine and the pain seems to have lessened slightly and going to try a heat pad too in a little while so hopefully this is the answer! Thanks for the advice and hopefully I'll hear something soon!! 
    • Posted

I went through nhs as I couldn't afford private either. Aug '13 I was diagnosed with a 7×5cm dermoid cyst on my left ovary. I got put in for the surgery end of Oct and had to wait over 9 months for my surgery. I got it done this Wed 6th Aug, a year after it was discovered. They intended to do just key hole, so I got the 3 small incisions, but they had to remove my left ovary and tube too so they made a 1.5inch incisions along my bikini line. They gave me a scan in Feb this year as I was having pain and the cyst hadn't gotten any bigger. But I have heard of peoples that have grown quickly, so I suppose suppose everyone is different. I am in pain but I can move around, and I have to do things for myself as I am a single mother. Lucky I'm getting help feom family who are looking after my 4yr old, as I don't think I could do that part just now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.