Dermoid Ovarian Cyst - Open Surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey,

I'm new to this but wondered if anyone can enlighten me. I'm 19 and have open surgery on the 16th to take out what we suspect is a at least, 18cm dermoid ovarian cyst. My surgeon said he has operated on bigger but not with someone my age. We aren't sure whether I will have a bikini cut or cut upwards. We also aren't sure if they will remove one of my ovaries as there is a 98-99% chance it is attached to one. I was just wondering what laparotomy was like? How long are people off work and struggle with normal things? and really just what the whole experience is like? I know everyone is different, just looking for a brief idea of what I have to come.

Thanks smile 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi - I had the same surgery in December. I had 2 cysts - one was 10cm and the other 2cm. Because of my age (51) I had both ovaries and tubes removed. One of the ovaries was not optional. 

The surgery went fine, no problems. I've got a bikini line incision that's about 6 inches across.

The one thing that surprised me was how painful it was after - mostly from the internal stitches. They will give you pain meds when you go home - do NOT stop taking them, you do not want the pain to get ahead of you. I was in the hospital for 2 nights and it would have been great for 3. It's really hard to get in and out of bed because you use those muscles - you'll need help with that initially. If you have stairs, they were no problem for me. I would make sure you buy a body pillow because you will be on your back for a while and I found in order to be comfortable my legs always had to be elevated to take pressure off the incision area from pulling. Also buy straws... just to take a drink while in bed while on our back is hard - the straws saved me!

It took quite a while to recover. You literally cannot lift anything for min. 6 weeks and I was much longer. I tried groceries after a while and it almost set me right back! 

Sitting was the hardest position for me - so if you have a desk job that will be hard, or driving to work. (based on bikini line area) 

Everyone is different but I am now at 4 months and I just started exercising with some stretching on the floor - nothing major. I still feel it all the time but I can totally function fine. 

If you can, take min. 6 weeks - 8 weeks. 

• Posted

Did you have to wear inflatable things on your feet and legs afterwards ?? Xx 
    • Posted

No I didn't but they gave me Heparin shots for the blood clots while I was in the hospital and they make you get up and walk. Walking helps a lot! 

• Posted

Thank you for that detailed response, that's very helpful!! 😊

• Posted

Hey, 

I'm 23 and having a 11cm cyst and ovary removed by open surgary this coming Tuesday. They are unsure of what mine is as cancer team and my team don't know what it is from scans as I got fluid and soild parts. 

I had my pre op today and I'm  having a bikini cut, after the op I will be on a PCA machine plus any top up of meds and also have  these inflatable things on my feet and legs to prevent blood clots. 

Been told I'll be in a few days and maybe more it depends. 

I been told can't lift anything for 6 weeks and recovery is 6-8 weeks. 

Sorry I can't tell you much but will be able to after Tuesday. 

• Posted

Thank you for the response, I hope you're OK and your op goes great. Please keep me posted with any info, that'd be much appreciated ?

• Posted

Thank you and I will do. I'll give you more info after my op as I can x 

• Posted

Hey, 

I've had my operation - still in hosptail. How are they doing your op again? X 

• Posted

Hey Holly,

How did it go? How are you feeling? I have to have open surgery, not sure if they are doing a bikini line cut or cutting me upwards, and I won't know until I wake up from my surgery! Did you have keyhole or open? My operation date has changed from the 16th to the 19th next week. Hope you're well x

• Posted

Hi there -

Your surgery is coming up in just a couple short days! I wish you all the best and send positive vibes your way!

I will be having an open surgery next week, Tuesday 24th. My mass is about 30cm, so mine will be a vertical cut. I was told that you will need at least 6 to 8 weeks to recover but maybe more to get back to your total self once again.

Keep us posted on how your surgery goes!

• Posted

Hey 

So for all the people who think they're going to die...you are not. I'm just saying that because when i was diagnosed with a dermoid cyst that was the first thing I thought ...dam i'm going to die! Pretty much because i didn't know what a dermoid cyst was and the internet and success stories, post surgery helped me alot.

I was twenty at the time and it was a pretty big deal; 17cm x11.5cm big to be exact.I had a bikini cut first of all, didn't lose the ovary the doctor only took a chunk of it out. I was in bed for about three days...then i started moving about slowly but surely.The body is an amazing thing and will find a way to heal itself. I was good to go within a week or two. No heavy lifting for about a month. 

Pain wise i didn't experience any excruciating pain post surgery thankfully; I also had pain meds. 

My advice is look into scar remedies and creams and as soon as the stitches come of start applying to prevent scarring.

Dermoid cysts can rupture so if you are diagnosed so make sure and get several opinions to assess whether the ovary can be saved and then do the surgery. Don't be afraid!

Good luck to everyone diagnosed and I hope this post is helpful!

Stay strong beautiful women!

XO

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.