Dermoid questions

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just a few questions about dermoid cysts.

i know that they can cut off blood supply by twisting and causing a torsion, but do they also destroy ovarian tissue and follicles just by growing, or does it just stretch?

How large of a dermoid would prevent ovulation?

For those of you who have had them,

What size was it when removed and did that affect the ovarian function?

Thank you.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had 3 x cysts, totalling combined size of 26cm removed last year (prior to surgery, none of the scans had picked up on the 3rd cyst :O). They managed to save all ovarian tissue and function. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your answer! Wow! Was that all in one ovary?

Were you having normal periods and stuff before the surgery?

• Posted

2 cysts on one ovary and 1 cyst on the other. I'm a size 10 and the cysts were well hidden; you wouldn't have known they were so large just by looking at me. 

All normal pre-surgery, only symptom was pain. 

• Posted

Hi There,

I ma waiting to go and request to have my 5x4cm dermoid cyston my right ovary to be removed. They found it in 2010 whilst pregnant with my first son  and it was 3cm then, they did nothing about it. (I got pregnant within 2 cycles)

Skip forward 6 years and i'm in pain because of it and hoping to get it removes, its grown ever so slightly and slowly but I get daily period pain sometimes severe.

I got pregnant with my second child after 1 attempt and I still had the cyst, I don't know what size but i'm looking now at loosing my right ovary because of the size and shape I think.

Saying that I don't think it's affected my fertility, not having 2 kids smile

• Posted

Thanks for the response!

I m surprised that they are thinking you might lose the ovary..5cm seems not TOO large!

I have also had children with my dermoids in there, but lost an ovary during my c-section 6 years ago..

I have a cyst in my remaining ovary, and got pregnant with it there, but lost my daughter this summer.

The RE recommends keeping the cyst until after I get pregnant again, as she says the surgery can damage reserve..especially since I lost an ovary already.

Hoping to get pregnant again soon!

• Posted

I have no idea on the situation to be honest, I don't know whether its because its easier to remove the whole thing based on the fact that I have finished my family?

• Posted

That might be why. Good luck!

I am looking forward to the day I can have this cyst out. I'm sure you know how painful they can be.

• Posted

I do, well at least I hope I do, it is at the back of my mind 'what if' once its out I feel no better but surely it must be that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.