Dermoids and ovulation/menstruation

Posted , 5 users are following.

What size dermoid did/do you have and does it affect ovulation or cause you to not have a period?

Thanks!

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Margie,

My dermoid was just under 7cm, and I had it removed along w/ my right ovary and my right and left Fallopian tubes about 2 weeks ago. My periods were still regular, although they were heavy (due to polyps/fibroids), and I had a D&C at the same time as my other surgery to remedy this. I haven't had a period since my surgery, so I can't comment on any difference yet. Ovulation was painful when I had the cyst. I haven't noticed any of these pains since the surgery. I also dealt with bladder pressure/urge to urinate--these issues have resolved with the removal. The only thing I'm dealing with now is the discomfort from the healing process, but this is getting better each day. I also have a very small endometrial cyst on my left ovary, but it is so small that it is not causing problems. They thought it best to leave it alone so as not to disturb my remaining ovary.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi

I had a 9.5cm dermoid in my right ovary and 2cm in the left. Both removed via laparotomy 5 weeks ago along with right ovary and tube, but left ovary was thankfully saved.

Periods had been very heavy, remained regular but slowly getting shorter and shorter cycles. And yes, ovulation was incredibly painful. Presumably because both ovaries were blocked up by the cysts. After surgery, I had some aching around ovulation (one week later) but my first period arrived bang on time and was noticeably lighter and less painful. It was really reassuring that the remaining ovary was working and I hadn't gone into menopause. The hospital (nhs, uk) looked after me so well and this was a great reminder of what a wonderful job they did.

The pre-op anxiety was far worse than the surgery and although I'm delighted to be out the other side it's a shame to go back to the reality of work!

Wishing you all the luck too...

• Posted

Thank you!

Do they think the cysts were blocking the egg from making it to the tube at all?

Glad your surgery went okay!

• Posted

They didn't elaborate on it. I can only assume so, as both cysts had grown to completely fill / stretch the ovaries. I did have a child 6yr ago so that egg reached my uterus fine, but of course I don't know if the cysts had started growing by then. I have my own theory that they grew subsequent but I've no evidence.

Now waiting for the results of what they contained and confirmation that they were benign. Should be the last piece of the jigsaw.

So are you facing surgery? What stage are you at?

• Posted

They found a softball sized dermoid on my left ovary during my c-section with my second child, almost 6 years ago. They removed the ovary.

Almost two years ago, I started ttc a third child. Started having pain and they found out I have a dermoid in my other ovary, but it was small so we decided to watch it, instead of removing, since I only have one ovary.

Finally got pregnant after 17 months, but sadly lost my baby at 22 weeks.

Now I just want another chance to get pregnant again and have a bring home baby...afraid to remove cyst, but don't want it to grow to the point of hurting my ovary...not sure what to do.

• Posted

Oh how terribly sad. I'm so sorry to read that. Hugs for you, poor lady.

Is the dermoid only a few cm at present? In those cases they can usually remove the cyst and retain the ovary, and it be perfectly functional. It would be a tragedy to keep monitoring and risk losing the ovary whilst action could be taken now.

Clearly it's another delay in your plans if you end up in surgery and then have to wait before no3 is conceived. We don't know though if you would actually conceive quicker if your dermoid is removed. 17mth was a long time ttc. What you think is a delay might even produce a quicker and more positive result. Plus there'll be no alien sitting down there consuming your hormones and potentially interfering with the lovely new pregnancy?

Sadly we know these dermoids dont go away and cause more issues as they grow. It seems that most ladies end up in surgery eventually, and rarely get the chance to pick the timing to suit themselves.

Best of luck!

• Posted

It's about 4.5cm. They think that my tube was blocked, and that's what caused it to take a long time to conceive, because as soon as I had the hsg, I got pregnant.

But who knows! I always chart my bbt and use opks, and it always show ovulation..so I assume I am ovulating, but wonder if the egg always makes it where it is supposed to go. It has been very slow growing, so maybe I'll watch for a few more months and then toy with the idea of removal. I just don't want to risk surgery on it being my only ovary.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.