Dermovate. How to use leading up to biopsy?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I hope you don't mind if I ask another question.  Saw a dermatologist this week and am now waiting for another biopsy to be done - this time at the hospital.  The dermatologist told me that, in the meantime, just use the Dermovate enough to make me comfortable.  At the moment my vulva is quite inflamed and itchy, particularly in the areas where the inflammation has never disappeared over about 18 months. 

At the beginning of the year I had one month using Dermovate twice a day, then one month using it once a day.  To be honest, I'm not sure if I was using enough, as I was told to use it 'sparingly' - which meant precisely nothing to me!  The result of the first biopsy was 'chronic inflammation', after which the GP told me to use the Demovate when I itched, then stop using it when I stopped itching.  So, my use since then has been rather spasmodic.  I know, I know!

So, I'm now wondering how to work this.  Should I use the Dermovate for a week, once a day and see if it helps?  Once a week?  I'm also using a water spray after a wee, as well as coconut oil inbetween times.  I know I'll have to stop using the Dermovate altogether two weeks before I have the biopsy - that's right, isn't it? - but I haven't got a date yet.

Any advice would be gratefully received.  I'm getting really frustrated with all this.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cheetah, I didn't stop using the steroid before my biopsy. Perhaps I should have but nothing was said.

I have been using my steroid every day sinceI watched Dr Goldstein although

I left it off for a couple of days immediately after the biopsy, but started again

Avoiding the biopsy area to stop the itch. It is trial and error to some extent.

Hope this helps. Ann

• Posted

Thanks Ann.  I've been dealing with this since last October and feel very frustrated by it all.  I still haven't got a definite diagnosis, although the dermatologist said she didn't think it was LS, which is good.  However, I've still got the soreness, inflammation and itching and I won't really know any more until I get the results from the second biopsy.  Thanks for your help. 

• Posted

Hi Cheetah, I'm wondering why another biopsy?  It sure makes the LS worse for awhile.  Have you tried the borax with water spray?  It seems to help many of us.

• Posted

Thanks Jeri.  My GP did the first biopsy in January and the result was 'chronic inflammation', which, the dermatologist said, was 'useless'.  She said a biopsy was only as good as the person doing it!  So, although she doesn't think it looks like LS, she wants to find out exactly what it is, which has to be a good thing.  If it isn't LS, I'm beginning to think it might be because of my low oestrogen levels - I'm 71 - and understand that this can be a reason for vulvitis.  I've been putting bicarb into the water spray and that seems to be very soothing.  I'll have to look into the borax.  Thanks again.

• Posted

I'm 74 and I'm sure I don't have any estrogen either.  Stopped taking it 15 years ago because of breast cancer.  I hope you get some good answers soon.  Wishing you all the best.

• Posted

I was only diagnosed visually, but I have

quite a lot of fusing so there didn't seem much doubt. I do also use Vagifem which is a form of HRT in pessary form. I have been assured by my female GP that I can use it forever although the male GP sees things differently, I haven't trusted him with the LS!

• Posted

My dermatologist told me not to use to much she said a tube should last three months if that's any help to you

• Posted

Thanks Gillian.  Well, I've still got quite a bit left in the tube I got in November/December!  I stopped using it daily back in February and have only used it maybe once a week since then.  However, this does make me wonder if I've been using too little.  Since I read about a pea-sized amount on here, this makes more sense to me. 

• Posted

I just put a thin layer on make sure you rub it in well I apply it once a day if in having a flare up that's what my dermatologist told me yo do

• Posted

Hello Cheetah, you sound so frustrated and I know that feeling but you

will get there eventually. As far as applying the Dermovate, I think you have

to learn not to fear it. I thought I was doing quite well, had no itching,

diminishing white areas and bicarb showing evidence of addressing fused

bits. I was aware though that my anatomy was still gradually altering and

my labia minor receding further. Also aware that the soreness never

completely went away. When I saw my Dermatology nurse last week for my

regular 3 month check. she told me to increase its use to alternate days until

I had no soreness at all and then reduce to twice weekly.

Already I feel less sore and wish I had been a little more confident in

applying more frequently. I think that you should go ahead and use it as

often as you need to get on top of things. LS is far more destructive than

any steroid cream.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.