Dermovate - what regime for maintenance?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I don't have lichen sclerosis, but vulval lichen planus and have found this forum to be so helpful when I was struggling to find a diagnosis.

I saw the dermatologist a month ago and was discharged from the hospital.  The inflammation has all gone, I was to stop using the Dermovate and was told to examine myself every two weeks.  If necessary, I was to use the Dermovate again and also use an emollient every day.  The dermatologist did say it may well come back once I stop using the Dermovate.

So, now, four weeks later I'm beginning to feel a little uncomfortable and itchy again.  I'm quite happy to use the Dermovate again, if necessary, but wonder what sort of regime others are on as a maintenance.  Prior to being discharged, I was using the Dermovate twice a week.  I don't want to use too much, but, at the same time, don't want to get in the situation I was before I asked to see the dermatologist.  I'd appreciate any advice.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Cheetah,

Glad your skin is feeling better.  After all you went through you now know what your condition was.  I use Yes everyday but use dermovate once a week or if I get sore from clothing which is usually what causes that I put a bit on after shower on an evening.  I got told to treat it like excema and use the ointment as maintenance.  Sometimes if we bath if the waters too hot I’m sure it causes soreness.  Hope that helps, I don’t tend to change things I use only the Yes and dermovate so as the skin is used to what I use.  X

• Posted

Hi Sue, can you tell me what Yes is please?

• Posted

Thanks Sue, that's very helpful.  I realise that Dermovate is very potent, so want to use the minimum amount that I need to for maintenance.

• Posted

Hi Sarb,  it’s Yes moisturiser for women’s privates lol.  It’s the moisturiser not the Yes lubricant.  They have their own website or you can get it on eBay.  It’s on prescription in the uk now, I aren’t sure if you are from the uk though.  It has no fillers in it which sometimes causes irritation.  It doesn’t come with an applicator though, I just use it on the outside skin.  It helps atrophy with the menopause as well.  X
    • Posted

Thanks Sue - that's interesting - I am from UK, so will look into Yes. 

• Posted

Where do you live please ? In uk we are told to use Dermovate twice a week for life , we don’t ever stop it xxx
    • Posted

I am in UK. Seems we all get told different regimes with steroid cream and perhaps that's because LS presents differently for all of us. I am in remission, but occasionally get irritation and have been told to apply betnovate for a week if that occurs and in any case, use it for a week in every 4-6 weeks for maintenance. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  That's really interesting to know.  I know that Lichen Planus is different to LS, but we all use the steroid cream to keep things at bay.

• Posted

Yo you sound the same Sarb.  I can go great then for some reason get sore.  It does calm it down though 
  • Posted

Sorry read it back, what I meant was if the once a week isn’t enough as I have a sore flare from seams then a put a bit on, I don’t use much though.  Some weeks I’ve not put any on though as the Yes was doing ok 

• Posted

Hi I was eventually told that I had lichen planus and have been using Dermovate cream for years never been examined to see how this is so I go perhaps a week without and then the irritation begins again in ernest so back to the ointment.
    • Posted

Thanks Chris, that's really helpful.  So, when the irritation begins again, do you use the Dermovate daily for a few days, then stop again?  I was using it twice a week before I stopped, so I'm wondering whether to go back to that.

• Posted

If it were me I would put a bit on, sorry to but in.  It’s just if it helps that’s good you don’t want it getting too sore,
    • Posted

Hello there, yes it seems to help me but to be honest I have used this Dermovate for several years I get some respite then it flares up again so I think just try to use the cream enough to keep it at bay.best wishes 

• Posted

Hi Cheetah, Glad things are improving. I have Eumovate a much weaker steroid which I use most days. This keeps things reasonably under control. Hope that helps.

The Eumovate is Clobetasone butyrate. Sounds similar to Clobetasol but much weaker.

Hope that helps.xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.