Descision to stop Physio after 8 weeks TKR Post-op

Posted , 5 users are following.

Last pt visit my knee was able to bend 110, but the exercises they put me through left me so sore and swollen that I had to have two days to just rest up.  Last night I was able to bend a bit over 90 because of the stiffness.  I figure I know how to strengthn the quads and can do so within my particular limits so that I don't have these set-backs.  This is the second pt clinic I have been too and they've been great.  But I think these young therapiists in their 2o's can't appreciate the limits of someone in their 60's who has RA to also contend with.  If need be I can have my husband help push extra degrees with me when I am going for more ROM.  I also want to go back to our fitness club and use the therapy pool.  I'm looking forward to not being sore all the time and waking up at night in pain.  I have voltaren gel but it can only do so much.  I don't know if my husband can do what is needed when I complain about it hurting, but he has offered to help.  I also want to get this knee fully healed because I have the other one that will need TKR in a year or so.  It bothers me that I hear so many talk about pain, swelling, and stiffness even after 6 months.  I feel very fortunate that I don't have a job I have to go back to and be on my feet all day like some.  TKRs are definately something to put off till you are retired, if at all possible. 

Thought I would check in with some of you TKR people and see if you felt the same and did okay working the rest of the bend on your own, because I sure don't want to settle for less ROM than I should have.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Lynn.

to be honest there is just to much talk about less rom, more rom, don't want to appear to be rude

you should only do what you are comfortable with.

i had knee surgery in December  2015

wAs pushed to hard, had a accident in physio which led to TKR in August.

if you have arthritis as bad as me you already know your limitations,listen to your body

if you feel to much pain STOP.

iam taking my time, no pressure, just want to get better, and it will take as long as it takes.

wishing you all the best

• Posted

The surgeon said you can get increasing ROM up to a year, but when I asked, so what's the rush, he said because of scar tissue.  I think though small increases over time, constantly working with it, should be all that's needed.  I will go back to swimming when I feel more comfortable walking distances.

• Posted

I agree with you on the young therapist.I am 54 I quit pt after a knee surgery for the same reason and I healed up fast on my own. You really need it with a tkr though I recommend you find an older one. I love my therapist he's been at it for 18 yrs and hes great i am 8 weeks post op and bending at 124. I too have to do this again in a year. I guess you could do it on your own but you really have to stick with it.

• Posted

I am motivated and this morning got the knee to 115.  I will know in a couple weeks if I can continue to increase this.  I have not found any young pt's.  The first one was probably 40's and brutal, so age really doesn't seem to matter around here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.