Describe your frozen shoulder pain

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi.

Recently, I got tentatively diagnosed with frozen shoulder. Still waiting for MRI, but I don't think that will happen any time soon with COVID-19 restrictions. So I wanted to hear some opinions from folks here whether I really have frozen shoulder, or is this something else.

Basically, my physio diagnosed it based on mostly one thing: that I'm unable to rotate my arm outwards, even when I relax my muscles and let someone else move my arm. I read that this is the hallmark of frozen shoulder. However, the weird thing is that my pain is located in upper arm only. My shoulder doesn't hurt (or sometimes hurts a little bit, but 90% of the pain is in the upper arm). The pain is either on the front (along the biceps) or on the back (along the triceps). Often, both at the same time. I also noticed that my muscles around shoulder (most notably pectorals and upper trapezius) are constantly very tense/contracted.

Does this really sound like frozen shoulder?

The pain is worse at night. Especially when I lie down on my back. When I lie on my good side, there is much less pain, and this is really the only position I can get some sleep in. I keep waking up every few hours, and it is very difficult to get back to sleep afterwards. During the day, it is better, especially if I avoid movements that cause pain. I try to do gentle ROM exercises. I cannot do any stretching or strengthening exercises, because they result in pain that sometimes lasts for over a day. And again, the pain is located in the front and in the back of upper arm, but not much in the shoulder. My biceps and triceps are becoming weaker and smaller, and I cannot do anything about it, which I find scary and depressing (I used to exercise 3 - 4 times a week, but I have not exercised at all since March). It even hurts me when I go for walks - I think it is the downward movement of the arm that is provoked by steps that somehow stretches my biceps tendon and causes pain, but I cannot be sure.

And a bit of history how this started for me (not sure if this is relevant):

In September 2019 I developed a sharp pain in my biceps long tendon area (the onset was from zero pain to 100% pain within a few hours - it was just getting worse throughout the day). No obvious reason for it. My doctor thinks it was either muscle tear or some impingement, although Ultrasound and X-Ray showed nothing. I was not able to lift my arm in front of me more than around 45 degrees. I avoided that move for the first month, and then once the pain lessened, I started exercising and stretching all muscles in my upper arm slowly. It was going well, the pain was pretty much gone by December 2019. I continued with exercises, and then around February/March 2020 I started feeling a bit of pain in my upper arm during stretches, and sometimes after strengthening exercises. I kept going with exercises and tried to ignore the pain, but it was progressively getting worse and worse. By the middle of April, it became unbearable. The pain was so intense I couldn't sleep for two nights. So I put a makeshift sling to immobilize my arm, and took Aleeve for 10 days. It helped with the pain, but once I took the sling off after 10 days, my shoulder wouldn't move without pain. That was end of April, and my physio diagnosed me with frozen shoulder. Since then, it has not really changed much. I do my gentle ROM exercises many times a day, but they don't seem to help.

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

hi

Unfortunately it does! A lot of my pain is in muscles around my arm and i do get pain in the shoulder now but more stabbing. It has changed over some five months too. it started with a flu jab in my left arm the muscle never recovered and gradually spread into my shoulder...then the lack of movement started i couldnt move my shoulder backwards. definitely bad at night too i now can only sleep on my back with bad shoulder elevated and not for long i get spasms in it very painful. am now seeing osteopath for help with pain but am doing exercises given by gp some i can do some i cant but all hurt! its w miserable thing yo get. /sorry about typing my phone keeps miss typing!

• Edited

Since it happened after a flu shot, maybe it's related to some kind of infection? I read about it here: https://www.painscience.com/tutorials/frozen-shoulder.php

Scroll to the section "Or it could be an infection? Surgery and vaccination as causes of shoulder joint infection".

Perhaps worth looking at it closer? Maybe a round of antibiotics could help in your case. Just throwing it out there.

• Posted

hi

that sounds like how it happened have just read the article! It happened back in end November so think i may have missed the boat on antibiotics and i told the doctor how it started and was never offered any i suspect he had no idea that was even possible! The shoulder started freezing gradually and i foolishly didnt exercise as it was too painful so it had a few months to seize completely. Pretty depressing but struggling to do exercises now better late than never! I have used hemp oil at night which helps sleep. Thanks for the article.

• Edited

May i ask what country you are in

• Edited

I'm in Canada. Everything here is closed because of the Covid-19. Cannot even get my MRI (tentatively I have it scheduled in August(!!!), but even that will probably get pushed since the backlog is growing and they will probably prioritize more serious cases when it all reopens).

It's really bad time to have health issues right now 😕

• Posted

Canada too.

the pain is awful, try Cbd, it really help me with the pain and also sleeping

• Posted

I am in Irelaand. I started FS Oct. 2018. I had it injected Dec 2018, surgery Jan. 2019 , injected Mar. 2019 and still no great improvement despite having physio on an ongoing basis I changed my surgeon and he operated 16th Mar. 2020 and i can sleep at last. The blackout pain in my arm is gone, movement is much better but it will take time to build up the strength in it. I had zero pain immediately after surgery. I was lucky that my surgery went ahead as all private hospitals were taken over by the state because of covid 19 the following week. I wish you all well as i know how painful FS is. Get a second opinion if you are unhappy . My second surgeon said that looking at my original MRI i never had FS. but yet i had the classic symptoms of it

• Posted

That's a good way to describe it--blackout pain. Never felt anything more painful; I thought I'd faint from it sometimes.

• Edited

Goodness! I can't tell you what a relief it is to find this forum and hear your stories. I was diagnosed with a frozen shoulder via Zoom and the beginning of covid. (A very strange experience seeing the GP on my phone doing exercises!) I had a steroid injection about a month ago but no joy yet. As some of you have described, some days are better than others but nights are worst. Having to sleep propped up with a V pillow but wake several times so I'm so tired all the time.

Can I just ask; I've had a few episodes where I've had to suddenly reach out either to catch something or steady myself and had the most excruciating pain in my upper arm - so much so I felt nauseous and had to spend the next few minutes sitting down and rubbing my arm until the pain went off a bit. I thought it was just me but it seems this is a common experience?

• Edited

Yes, I think it's something anyone with frozen shoulder commonly experiences. For a split second you forget your arm is out of commission, you reach for something or to steady yourself, and the pain is horrendous. Thankfully it does not last for long. But I always worry afterwards I've further harmed myself.

• Posted

Thanks. The first time it happened I initially thought I'd broken my arm somehow!! I'm so frustrated with it now, the limitations, pain, poor sleep. I really do feel for anyone experiencing this.

• Posted

I have the same experience as what you described. Every once in a while, I will make this uncontrollable/reflex move with my arm that triggers pain. Sometimes it is something very silly like a pillow falling down from my bed (my reflex was to try to catch it) that causes it.

My pain for overall mostly under control recently. I started doing some new strengthening exercises, and now the pain is back. I will probably have to re-start them much slower, to start building muscle strength slowly. Every time I do any kind of new activity, my muscles around my shoulders get sore. This is very frustrating.

How are you doing these days?

• Posted

The description of where the pain is (and isn't) sounds almost exactly like my case, and I was also just (tenatively) diagnosed with FS. My own symptoms started in April (I wonder if covid confinement/inactivity triggered it in some of us).

• Posted

Hydro dilatation did the trick for me. It takes a long time but things do get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.