Describing fatigue from depression

Posted , 5 users are following.

How would you describe any fatigue you have had from depression?

I ask as I'm struggling with fatigue and running out of options for physical causes, leaving me depression as a cause. and comparing my symptoms with other depression sufferers would help me judge my fatigue. I'd describe myself as depressed, but as a result of fatigue and other health challenges rather than vice-versa; sure, I've had depression on-and-off over the past 35 years (I'm now in my late 50s), but this fatigue hit me before my current depression and, looking back, I had some fatigue issues before my first depression.

I describe mine as a mental fatigue, feeling like having lead capes on my shoulders, brain and eyes; they drag my eyes and motivation down, I have to make a big effort to lift the weights to do anything and the weights push me to sitting down again. My body itself doesn't feel fatigued and I can exercise well for my age.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think the best way to answer your question is to go and look children and the expression they use to express boredom because fatigued or depressed is not yet in there vocabulary the body expresses it through action a shrug with a heavy drop on the shoulders whilst simultaneously a deep heavy sigh I think that just about sums up the feeling

• Posted

Fatigue can be a symptom of depression but there can, as you clearly know, be lots of other causes. Have you had blood tests for vit B12, anaemia, thyroid etc? Recently a friend who is treated for thyroid deficiency discovered that her continued fatigue was overcome with a range of supplements including iron. I think this was sheer luck. I also have a friend with ME. Fatigue hits her out of the blue and all she can do is ride it out. The rest of the time, she's fine and active.

Are you on medication for your current depression? That might be a cause, in which case a change in meds might be considered.

When I am at my lowest (severe anxiety and panic combined with depression) I feel exactly as you describe - mental fatigue with no inclination to get up, speak to anyone, eat, wash...but for me, I know it's a symptom of my depression. Once I found the right medication, I could feel the fatigue lifting and I heard myself speaking with animation, feeling like contacting friends and even entertaining th idea of exercise! It sounds to me like you should have a chat with your doctor - you shouldn't need to just put up with it.

• Posted

Thanks.  My B12, D and thyroid results are poor but within NHS limits.  i am also slightly pre-diabetes (6.3 fasting).

I had feelings of sleepiness well before was first depressed so I may have several things mixed up.

My full symptoms and tests are quite lengthy so I'll put them in a thread eventually.

• Posted

Hello, I think your description is understandable and is very similar to what I experience.  I also have neck issues and my shoulder muscles just always seem to be struggling to hold my head up - similar to your "lead capes".  I have, for some time, questioned if I am tired from exertion or it's the depression.  Depression was my conclusion and also my counselor's.  Because of my neck issues, I have been going to physical therapy but it has not helped this problem.

Hopefully, you will get some different responses.  Take care.

• Posted

My fatigue when depressed did feel like something heavy dragging me down. My mind and my body seemed to be trapped in a debilitating darkness. Doing anything or seeing anybody seemed like torture. I'm now in the right meds for me and have my life back. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.