Desensitizing the nerves/skin after knee replacement

Posted , 13 users are following.

What techniques have you used for desensitizing nerves/skin around your knee after knee replacement surgery?  I absolutely hate the feeling of anything touching my knee ... even air blowing over it drives me nuts.  I had my left knee done in July and just had my right knee done 3 weeks ago.  Now that it's getting colder outside, wearing shorts all day isn't really an option.  Doctor and physical therapist have said to rub different textures over my knees ... towels, cotten, denim, tooth brush, etc.  I also read somewhere that rubbing cortisone cream into them would help since it's an anti-inflammatory.  Any other things that you've done that have worked?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Wrap it loosely with an ACE bandage or get a "knee sleeve".  This will eliminate the rubbing against clothes and sheets.  Also, try some Voltaren Gel (RX)...best anti-inflammatory on the planet.

• Posted

Hi, Debann, your problem is a very common one...unfortunately. The severed nerves from the surgical incision are going crazy right now. But this does pass..promise. In the meantime some offered suggestions to that maddening butterfly wing pain ave been offered here. Including wrapping your knee( not too tightly) with elastic bandage, silk scarf, soft fabric and the one that worked for me (sounds like one of those famous Weird Tricks things) is wrapping the knee with plastic self cling wrap. It works, what can I say? These things helped me get through the night when everything seems worst. I had my tkr in February so, yes, got cold kicking off bed linens. I wore shorts and knee sox. I'm in Florida so got away with that mostly. But jeans were still painful. Wore my loosest with the  ace bandage wrap. Not a cure but helped. Others will, no doubt, add what helped them get through this healing phase. Stay positive and give these things a try. Good luck!

• Posted

My  leg / knee was hypersensitive which I didn't realize until I started reducing my pain meds. I finally convinced my surgeon that something needed to be done before my next appointment he agreed to see me to discuss. He gave me a script for gabapentin which I started to take right away and obtained some relief. But I got used to the meds quickly and was not getting enough relief at 300mg 4 times a day. I increased my dose to 3600mg a day which did help. My surgery was on May 12th and this hypersensitive feeling has just about gone away but it ok a long time. As you mention shorts vs pants same for me. Luckily I live in Florida so far shorts have been ok, no long pants since before my surgery. 

So first see if gabapentin is something your doctor will give you and second work on massaging the area. I used different types of creams but just doing it dry seemed to be just as effective.

good luck.

• Posted

Hey papa Pete , hope you made it through Mathew safely. First I've heard mention of shorts vs long pants here. I'm in SoCal and I don't think I've worn long pants since knee surgeries, both TKR, 2 years ago! Just seemed logical with the swelling and everything. Didn't really have the nerve sensitivity, but shorts much more comfortable with the recovery in general. I was in physical therapy for about a year, it is a long process regaining strength in legs that didn't bend much for a long time. Knees are great, now at 11 weeks RTHR, very different from knee recovery but getting there. Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Along with all the other suggestions, try just lightly rubbing your knee with your hands. Like a light massage. That worked for me and I still massage (not deep) My knee a year later. It's a very comforting feeling.

• Posted

Hi debannie

I know where your coming from its so annoying i bought just the normal tubular bandages i got the XL size so its not to tight it works gor me especially when wearing denim jeans .

• Posted

Hi,  I think that we can all relate to the hypersensitivity!  Unfortunately, the weather is getting cooler here and can't wear shorts anymore.  I tried loose Ace wrap but that just irritated my knee.  Light weight tights with the feet cut off have really helped so I can wear my jeans...other pants are looser so it's isn't as bad but still irritating. I bought a "pull-on knee cushion" on Amazon $15 and use that at night or sometimes just use an extra small pillow to between my legs so I can sleep on my side.  Just keep trying to see whatever works....and share your success with everyone.

• Posted

I bought REALLY SOFT yoga pants and those worked well. A year later (16 months since my left TKR and a year since my right TKR) I FINALLY am able to wear my jeans again.

With this operation EVERYTHING takes time!

• Posted

I had my left total knee replacement done on Sept. 9, 2016. I sometimes use ti

Aspercreme with Lidocaine to help desensitize the area at night.

• Posted

Hi Karen,

I will give your suggestion a go, thank you for your input.

Perhaps someone reading this can help?

After 10 weeks I have found that both of my arms are aching to the point that I have trouble opening jars of jam etc, I have put the above down to using a walking stick but as it persists I am not so sure, I am using pain killers but they are not doing much for me.

Is anyone else suffering the same or I alone?

I have had a desk job prior to the Op,

Thank you

Kevin

• Posted

I'm almost positive that Aspercreme has the highest amount of Lidocane (4%) in it of all the OTC meds; the others have 1%.  If you're looking for great topical relief, I think that's the one.  Otherwise, the Voltaren Gel (RX) is also topical but penetrtaes deeper.  Good for TKR and common bursitis pain.

• Posted

I think others will agree that it's pretty common to have pain elsewhere when part of your body is working right.  Relying on your arms instead of your legs (getting into bed, rolling over, etc.) can be some simple examples.  It's called compensation.  I got sciatica because my SI joints locked up 5 weeks p/o.  Change of gait to compensate for the knee can cause all sorts of back and hip mis-alignment problems.  Chiropractor and PT fixed it but it was not pleasant.

Pain killers: Most people are off the opiods at around 12 weeks.  If you're still having pain that requires that level of medication, talk to your doc about a temporary higher dosage or a switch between hydrocodone (Vicodin, Norco) and oxycodone (Percocet, Oxycontin).  Example: Norco 5/325 to 10/500.  Doc makes that call.

In any case, take the meds as long as you need them and then titrate off of the opiods to 800 mg Ibuprophin TID or Tramadol (both are RX).  This takes a while and 10 weeks is still early in the game.  I'm at 7+ months and all that crap is behind me...it just takes time, work and determination.  You are not alone!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.