Desmopressin

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all.

I've just seen my urology consultant and he's recommended Desmopressin to stop me having to get out of bed seven or eight times a night to have a pee.

Has anybody tried this and have there been any side-effects?  He only told me that I would have to have my sodium levels monitored by blood tests.

Thanks for any reply or info.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

OH!  Wow, and sorry to read!  I suppose getting completely soused by bedtime wouldn't help either then!  confused  Strange liquids-processing times your body has set up although some others have reported similar situations.  Good luck with the meds, then!  

• Posted

Apologies, I'm replying to my own post here.

I've decided to have a chat with my GP before doing anything.  All of the info I've read says that Desmopressin should not be prescribed to anyone over 65 or with high blood pressure.  As I'm 67 and have high blood pressure and also don't know how long I'm supposed to be taking the anti-diuretic I'm beginning to get a bit sceptical about everything.

Thanks for all your replies.  I'll post to this discussion again if and when I manage to find out anything interesting.

• Posted

Desmopressin is primaritly used for diabetes insipidus (DI) and is a rare disorder that affects water metabolism, preventing the body from conserving water and releasing too much of it.

I tried the nasal spray form of desmopressin for your same reason, nocturia. I only used it on two nights for a test and didn't find a lot of relief from nocturia. I found that I felt worse from the desmopressin the next day though, compared to getting up 5-6 times a night, It was almost like I had a hangover feeling from the desmopressin, and it was worse than just being tired from getting  up so much. Every body is different though and the only way to know if it works for you is to try it.

I think you should try it and see how you feel. You can always discontinue its use. If the nasal spray version does not work well for you for whatever reason, you could then try the pill form, which I did not try. 

• Posted

From your posts the problem appears too much urination due to kidney over-production during night time - so Desmopressin to reduce your kidney activity.  I had a similar problem where I was getting up 5-6 times per night and going up to 20 times per day, due to a different combination of BPH and non-cancer bladder wall inflammation.   My GP put me on Tolterodine (Detrol) 2mg twice per day.   This really relaxed my bladder and I was able to hold on much longer between voids and re-train it.  I also reduced my fluid intake in the evening - no alcohol / tea/ coffee after 9pm.   I still get up 1-3 times per night but it is much more manageable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.