desogestrel v noretjisterone

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi i am a 44 yr old woman had my daughter 13 years ago have always been on the combined pill loestrin 20 until april 2017 when i was advised due to high blood pressure and age to come off it.  My bp isn't high enough to be treated.  for 6 months after coming off it i didn't have any periods, since sept/oct time they returned v heavy and erratic some times 21 days others 36 days i never know when!I find it v stressfull not knowing when my period is likely to appear hence being on the combined pill for years.  Doctor has given me 2 choices 1 - desogetrel mini pill and said as I m mid 40s theres a high chance that it will stop my periods completely which wouldn't worry me - or norethisterone 5mg which she says could be taken on days 5-26 of the cycle with a withdrawal bleed.  I already suffer from anxiety and am sertiraline antidepressants so am reluctant to go onto norethisterone long term but saying that I wouldn't cope with heavy irratic bleeding on the mini pill i wouldn't mind at the start while it settles down - any opinioins from any one?  I don't smoke.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.