Despair over Tinnitus and Hearing loss!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hearing in left ear damaged at age four by measels. Last two or so years, hearing worse.  Develped tinnitus about six months back. Constant noise in left ear. Results of subsequent tests have failed to establish cause.  Have regular infections in left ear. Painful and difficult to treat. Tinnitus drives me MAD at times and deafness is cause of frustration.  Anyone have any thoughts as to where I go next.....?

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm not able to offer any constructive help, Maggi7, but be sure you are not on your own!  I have recently had a MRI scan and await the results on May 27th. I also intend to ask to try a hearing aid and / or a tinnitus masking contraption. Like you, I am going MAD with the tinnitus. When it was just background noise, I could live with it, but since November I get such intrusive noise in my ear that it brings me to tears sometimes. Mine seems to build up over about 9 - 14 days and then I hear a sound like being on the runway with Concorde taking off, and it gets louder and louder until I am shaking my head and slapping my ear in the hope that something will bring about a change or, even better, some peace!

If I get any helpful information from the ENT appointment on May 27th, I'll post it here and if you are given any useful information, perhaps you would be kind enough to do the same. I don't know what the answer is, but the problem is horrendous. I am afraid that some people think we are over egging it, but they just need to try and put up with it and they will realise how distressing it can be.

Still, at least it's not every day for me, and I haven't reached a stage of having to have injections. You have my heartfelt sympathy and support.

• Posted

You just keep going to the clinic, to be told every time, that there is NO CURE

They should however help you with the infection

Chin up. there are shed loads of sufferers around you. Just talk to us 

• Posted

I don't think I can be of much help but I do sympathise. i get tinnitus that goes from bearable to mind blowingingly horrible. I am suffering with some hearing loss but not too bad yet. 

My son, who is deaf in one ear was suffering infection after infection in it. He has now adjusted his diet as he finds this gets worse if he eats dairy products and bread as well as if he drinks too much tea/coffee with caffeine.  It is a nuisance but he thinks it is worth the trouble and worth going without things he enjoys to have less pain in his ear.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.