Desperate for a diagnosis for my on going ear/hearing problems

Posted , 1 user is following.

I’m desperate for a diagnosis for my on going ear/hearing problems. There a very long history, I’ll do my best to keep it short.

About 8 years ago I had my first ever ear infection (external) in my right ear. This ran its course much as you would expect it to and was over in about 10 days. Then every year after that I had an infection in my right ear.

A few years ago things changed. I had a chronic ear infection, this time in both ears. I went to the doctor over and over, nothing worked.

Eventually I found an ENT who sorted it out. He got the infection under control pretty quickly and I haven’t had one since.

Unfortunately I still have problems and both my GP and ENT don’t have a solution. This has been going on for two years.

Symptoms

• Tinnitus - Very high pitched, around 12.5khz. 24hrs a day, some times worse than others
  • Feeling of fullness I the ears. Like they are blocked or narrow
  • Hearing loss - I’ve been to see two audiologist and according to them my hearing is fine.

Those three things are constant. I also often have itchy ears, sometimes a bit painful, like they are about to become infected. Sometime I wake up and my ears feel wet. I can live with these, it’s the tinnitus and hearing loss that is killing me.

Below are some possibilities that I find fit my symptoms:

• TMJ - when I clench my jaw, or stick my jaw right out my tinnitus increase in volume by 3–4 times. I don’t really have any other TMJ symptoms. My bite is perfect, no real jaw pain, my jaw opening and closing is smooth

• Eustachian tube dysfunction - a lot of symptoms from here. My Eustachian tubes do seem the open and equalise as normal, at least I think they do

• Otomycosis - The symptoms fit, but the ENT and GP can’t see any sign of infection

I’m desperate to get this sorted out. It’s driving me crazy and impacting my work. Any help greatly appreciated

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.