Desperate for answers

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys. I think I have IBS, I very rarely go toilet, I feel bloated, passing wind a lot, burping, back ache, headaches, I have had mucus before too. My question is, could ibs cause me EXTREME fatigue? My doc has diagnosed chronic fatigue syndrome. I’m 23 Male and a regular gym goer. Could my IBS flares be causing this? To the point where walking around for 20 minutes makes me want to fall asleep. I don’t really have stomach cramps but I have done a few times, I know that not every one gets the same symptoms. 

I’ve not been toilet for 3 days now, that’s 3 days of big meals still in my stomach, surely that could cause extreme fatigue and tiredness and malaise? 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have CFS and ibs. Digestion requires a lot of energy from your body and fatigue can absolutely be a side effect of an improper digestion system. I have all your symptoms. Ialso have food intolerances which is also common with ibs and cfs.
  • Posted

IBS can cause fatigue and constipation alone can cause fatigue and malsise too as does chronic fatigue syndrome.   Your symptoms sound like IBS but see your doctor to confirm this.
  • Posted

Hi Dan, 

?Your post kind of reminded me of myself. 

?I always have had mild ibs and the biggest issue I found was food just seems to sit there and If I ate a lot I just felt really tired. I found I had to eat smaller meals and I could tell if I ate too much as I felt blocked up and over tired. 

?I wondering if I had some food intolerance but about two years ago I picked up a nasty viral stomach bug which left me with a bad case of post infectious ibs. Ended up rushing to the loo all the time but luckily I had lots of food intolerances test then and nothing was found. I had to follow the low fodmap diet which helped a lot and i've steadily improved over two years, but have to avoid certain foods. 

At the same time I was diagnosed with post viral fatigue as I was so run down I picked up another virus and after 6 months I was diagnosed with CFS. ?With my CFS, I had aching muscles and cramping, fatigue, headaches, painful lymph nodes that weren't swollen and generally feeling of being unwell. Luckily I would say most of that is behind me now but during that time I did loads of research and kept food diary's. 

?Have you had any other tests? CFS is usually diagnosed after more tests have been carried out. What about celiac test? B12 etc, Do you feel tired after exercising the next day or straight after? when you say walking around for 20 minutes makes me want to fall asleep, is this to the point of collapsing or just a bit tired? 

?Maybe its something you are eating all the time? I know if I eat oats, peppers or tomatoes I feel exhausted as I cant seem to digest them properly and I can get tension headaches and muscle aches.

• Posted

Hi Rob,

I’ve never really noticed any stomach problems, I don’t go very often I know that - especially for someone who eats as much as I do lol. Yesterday id gone 4 days without it, that’s 4 days worth of food, I ended up taking laxatives and I was really shocked at what actually came out. Just goes to show how backed up you can get. 

My fatigue started coming in periods of around a week, then would go away for 3 weeks, I was still training everyday in the gym so the post exertion malaise thing just doesn’t seem to fit with me. Although now, I’ve felt rotten for a month and it’s not improved, I went to the gym and felt like crap within about 2 hours. I’m tired to the point I could fall asleep (probably not collapse)

CFS just isn’t clicking with me, I feel like it’s something else, I think you know your own body. I have cut out gluten to try and help myself, I’ve also had my bloods done and all my vitamins are fine. Not showing any sign of anything and I haven’t had any noteable virus’s or any trauma. 

Thanks 

• Posted

Hmm strange one Dan, Not sure what else to suggest really. Have you always been like this? 

Did you start feeling this way after a viral infection? I think before the onset of mine, I did loads of cycling and running and had this feeling of a mild cold coming back every few weeks. From what my Dr told me I may have been pushing it too much and being generally run down, so my immune system wasn't great. I have heard its your body going into a kind of safe mode where it stops you from doing more damage. 

Maybe its worth resting for a month or so and seeing how it goes. 

• Posted

Sorry to ask but anyone tell me symptoms of ibs
    • Posted

Shifting abdominal pain, change of bowel habit, nausea, back pain, bloating, gas, and sometimes food intolerances.  Stress and anxiety also go with it as well as heartburn. These symptoms vary from person to person, everyone experiences it differntly.
    • Posted

Hi Pippa, this sounds exactly like me - have you been diagnosed with IBS? May I ask what you have done to help yourself?

I am looking into low FODMAP foods - this is all new to me.

Best,

Wildflower6

• Posted

Yes, I was diagnosed with IBS three years ago.  My diagnosis calmed my symptoms down greatly and I only get flare ups when stressed.  Buscopan and painkillers help a lot but I only need them occasionally.  Food doesn’t aggravate my IBS.  
    • Posted

Pippa, good for you!  I am so glad you have this under control. It's good to know there's medication if I eventually go to my doctor.

• Posted

Pippa, I just checked Amazon, and they sell Buscopan!  I ordered it and will receive it on Thursday.   It was only $9.00, so if it doesn't work, no big loss. But my main issue is cramps in my lower abdomen, so I am hopeful being that it helps spasms in the colon.

Thanks so very much!

• Posted

Thanks Pippa! By the way, I have an appointment today with my Nurse Practitioner. Hoping to at least get medication.

• Posted

I suspect your nurse will not give you medication but will refer you to a doctor who will evaluate your symptoms to reach a diagnosis, run tests to rule out other causes and then offer medication once you have a diagnosis. Only your doctor can prescribe you medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.