Desperate for answers- Could this still be Prednisolone withdrawal?

Posted , 2 users are following.

i was put on Prednisolone 10mg for about 4 months for an autoimmune disorder it was increased to 40mg for one week, them 30mg and then 20mg . Due to lockdown I was left on 20mg for 4 months.

I was the told to decrease by 2.5mg every month to 5mg. When I got to 7.5mg I began to feel unwell and it took 3 months to get to 5mg. Another 3 months on I am still feeling very unwell and beginning to wonder if there is something seriously wrong and I dread waking up in the morning.

On waking, I feel nauseous, shaky and fatigued. Also get hot flushes.These symptoms also seem to get worse before and after eating and feel like I need sugar, but my sugar levels are fine when I check. By the end of the day I usually feel slightly better apart from feeling very tired and that I will feel better in the morning. Unfortunately it is not the case and starts all over again. There are occasional days where I almost feel normal. Although I drink very little, alcohol seems to make me feel slightly better.

Routine blood tests have shown nothing.

My GP says speak to my AI consultant and they say speak to your GP. I begged to be referred and have had a telephone with an endocrinologist who still did not come to any conclusions.

What I really want to know is if it is possible that I am still experiencing symptoms due to tapering, as I am beginning to become very worried. Not sure I can continue feeling like this for much longer.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.