Desperate for answers - help

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, 

it all started for me in 2009 after a stressful experience and a bad cold/flu. I came down with post viral symptoms, from excruciating headaches to inability to walk etc. Eventually I had to stop work and go to my parents' home for a few months. I checked into a private hospital in Greece, I did a bunch of tests/MRI etc and they found a thyroid issue (autoimmune) which I now control plus got given antidepressants which miraculously worked! I was taking 20mg Cipralex for the last few years and I have managed to stay healthy and i recovered. I don't think you ever get rid of this thing, but at least the antidepressants helped a lot.

For the last few months, I have been seeing a private doctor who has prescribed a bunch of supplements etc. that I have been taking. I have been feeling good, so I foolishly thought I could come off the antidepressants and asked her advice, she seemed to think it wouldn't be an issue so I started reducing them since May 2016.

In mid Sep 2016, and whilst almost off the antidepressants (on 5mg every other day) I came down with a cold again. Since then, my life has been hell. To cut a long story short, most of my initial symptoms started coming back, headaches, dizziness, malaise, aches etc. I have started back on antidepressants in an attempt to balance my system out, it's been 10 days now that I am back on 20mg Cipralex and truth be told I have improved a little bit, but I am so worried that I have unbalanced my system and will take ages to function again.

My worst fear is that the specific antidepressant has stopped working for me (they do 'poop out' after a while), and as I have been on it since 2009, maybe it has run its circle.

Every day is hell, I am also panicking a lot, and experiencing anxiety, depressive thoughts and even suicidal ones.

Could it be the antidepressant taking effect again? 

I am so confused and don't know what to do. Said doctor hasn't been very useful, she said I suffer from Pots/Dysautonomia, which I think is not true as I don't experience tachycardia /palpitations which is the hallmark of the disease. I think she 's got it wrong, and I don't know what to do/who to trust.

Anyone with a similar experience? Please help.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Give your antidepressants a chance to work.  You know that some of the symptoms you describe are side effects of some anti-d's?  It will take some time for the chemicals balance to be achieved again.  I am so sorry you feel so unwell again and understand the frustration that you feel.  In the first instance I think you need to just give yourself a break, give the medication time to settle and hopefully you will get back to where you were.  If not, then a different medication may be required.  It is good that you have a supportive boyfriend and parents who care too.  Get your bloods checked again for thyroid as you may need a change there too.  Good luck to you, and I am sorry I can't help you in your journey except to say I am thinking and praying for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.