Desperate for answers. What do I do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I am hoping someone can help me. A little background: I am 32. I have had hip pain on my right side for about 10 years. I always attributed it to carrying children on my right hip. (I worked in childcare before going on to having my own children).

The last few years it's gotten worse. My husband is military, so I see military doctors. They sent me to physical therapy which did nothing. I started having migraines and saw an eye doctor on my own; I was wondering if it was a simple vision issue. He told me I had optic neuritis at the time, but it was no big deal. A year goes by, and I started having a random pain in my upper back (right above my bra strap) as well as low back and stronger hip pain. 1-year ago I asked for an MRI of my upper back which was without contrast and “unremarkable”. I didn’t ask for a hip MRI because I assumed it was sciatica. Around that time I started noticing mild abdominal pain. Because my symptoms were all over the place, and all of my labs and tests were negative, they said I was fine. (They actually diagnosed my with somatization unbeknownst to mebasically means I feel pain for imaginary reasons. I found this out this week).

I deal with all the symptoms which have waxed and waned, yet has gotten progressively worse, until September when I can’t handle the abdominal pain anymore. I made more appointments. I made a mistake of not explaining all the leg, back, and nerve pain because I thought I already had a negative diagnosis and that it was unrelated. I’ve been through the ringer with these doctors. They are young, and it’s a revolving door of inconsistency because military life has them moving and rotating constantly One doctor took an hour to listen to me, and ordered several MRIs and blood tests, but he moved clinics and I never saw him again. Every test has been negative I’ve been told, and they keep referring me to mental health.

I have pain all over, in my leg muscles, the ankles, my shin, my hips, my left wrists, my feet and hands. The right-sided “sciatica” is on both sides now. My upper back feels stuck, with intermittent stabs of pain, it’s the best way to describe it. I wake up lately feeling like I ran a marathon, but didn’t run a marathon. Or I feel like I have a flu, but without the head symptoms. I feel so foggy and just, bad. I feel like something is so wrong. My ribs hurt on the right side, and it hurts my back to drop my shoulders. Now I hear a cracking/popping sound in my spine and sternum if I drop my shoulders. I hope that makes senseIt’s hard to describe. They asked if I have night sweats, and I said yes I have been sweating at night the last few nights (never had this before). They dismissed it because I “don’t need to change the sheets because it’s not soaked.” I’ve lost so much weight, I’m so nauseous and often have little appetite. They say it’s stress.

Last week I ordered my medical records. I wanted to see what they were saying, and whether or not they were missing something. I learned two things: someone a year ago said “somatization”, which now I’m wondering could be what’s interfering with proper care. Why do more diagnostics if it’s in the patient’s head? Send her to mental health instead. The other thing learned after poring over my records is I had a high rheumatoid factor, and “mild facet hypertrophic degenerative changes” in L-1 through 5 and S1. They told me my MRI of my lower back and blood tests were normal though!

A.S. is the only thing that seems to match everything I feel. I was reluctant to make an account and ask for information here as I’ve noticed there seems to be a lot of what I would call hypochondriacs that seem to flood chronic condition forums, and in the back of my mind I was starting to really question my own mind after hearing I’m fine over and over and over again. But now after seeing mild spine issues and rheumatoid factor, I’m wondering if I’m onto something. Does this sound like A.S.? What do I do? Where do I go from here? I’m desperate for help as I have become a shell of the vibrant and energetic wife and mother that I normally am. If you made it this far, thank you for reading. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Don't give up. I'm sorry you are being given the run around. Yes having that in your records will not help. Incompetent doctors exist and they think they know it all so if they don't, they say you are making it up.

My daughter has AS. She also has pain in hands, wrists, ankles, knees, back. She has had it in her jaw and ribs too. You are not crazy. Something is seriously wrong.

Go see a rheumatologist. Ask to be tested for HLAB27+ gene. Tell them your symptoms. Maybe you don't have AS but it sure sounds like it. Maybe you have another form of arthritis. Don't send the records from the dr who wrote bad things in your chart. If you can't lose that page, don't send any records. Get a whole battery of blood work done. Ask for more X-rays of your back and hips.

Keep trying. I remember how frustrating it was to get my daughter diagnosed. You need a name for this monster and then you can make a plan to kick its butt. Good luck!

• Posted

Your story is very familiar to many of us. I had seen many military Docs (including Rheumatologists) and they missed my AS even though it was VERY apparent on the xrays. They labeled me a drug seeker and a malingerer. That kept me from getting promoted and me to separate from the Air Force. Bye bye retirement...

I would suggest a civilian consult with a Rheumatologist. Ask them to request your labs and xrays. I personally would tell them what the military Docs are saying. A civilian Dr should see through all that. They'll do a full exam and give you a educated opinion on whether it's AS or not. Certainly be sure to ask them for a HLA-B27 test. They should know to do that from the start.

I wish you the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.