Desperate for Help. Day 9 no sleep

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone, my severe insomnia started about 2 months ago after staying at my mums house. Her dogs had to be locked in the laundry next to my room and barked all night keeping me up. The next night I put stress on myself that I needed to get a good nights sleep and that's where it all spiralled out of control. I have always suffered health anxiety so now I'm so scared that my lack of sleep is going to cause me to get seriously ill, it's just a vicious cycle. So for the first few weeks I was able to fall asleep at around 4-5 am most nights for about three hours max. Then it turned into completely sleepless nights. I went to the doctors and was prescribed Temazepam 10mg. It worked maybe three nights I used it after taking one tablet and I was able to get about 5 hours on it, then it stopped affecting me. So I was back to no sleep at all. I would go around 3 or 4 sleepless days then get so desperate I would have a few red wines just to knock myself out for a few hours (this coming from someone who usually drinks once or twice a year on occasions) I would still take the temaze on the days I didnt drink as it would at least relax me during the night as I was having anxiety associated with bedtime by this point. I also went to the chemist and they gave me some sleep well tablets which are an antihistamine but they also had no affect. After a few weeks of doing this I decided I couldn't keep drinking myself to sleep so I went back to the doctor 3 days ago. She prescribed me citalopram for my anxiety, circadin (melatonin) for the sleep and said to continue with the Temaze/melatonin mix for now for sleep. The first night I took melatonin and 1.5 tablets of temaze which did nothing. So last night I took melatonin and 2.5 tablets of temaze and still nothing.

I am currently up to day 9 with no sleep (despite one day in between where I go 2 hours in the morning) How is this even possible? I'm constantly so tired and fatigued yet not sleepy or never feel like nodding off during the day or night. I would be so grateful for some advice, I'm ruining myself and my partners life.

Just some extra info. I'm 25 year old female, always had a little bit of trouble getting to sleep but never like this. I eat very healthy diet, excerice every day. Never had a coffee in my life. I've tried mediation, yoga, guided mediation audios. Been doing a lot of study into sleep hygiene and am practicing it all, still with no results. I also had my thyroid checked not long ago which was fine.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Just another note. I only weigh 47kg so I have no idea how none of the meds are having an affect on me
  • Posted

The longest I've been without sleep is three nights, and, after that time not really able to do anything worthwhile and feeling absolutely terrible.

Is your daytime anxiety disabling? Do you get so nervous you can't concentrate?

At your age I don't believe melatonin will help unless you have jetlag – it doesn't help so very much at any age. I think you might as well have been prescribed a placebo.

If you are getting as little sleep as you say, then it does appear amazing what doctors will let patients go through before prescribing a medication designed to induce sleep. On the one hand one can easily see that you might end up wanting them continuously, and at only 25; on the other hand if you are drinking and getting so little sleep your health stands to suffer that way.

Obviously your doctor wants to stand firm in the hope that you are just going through a phase, a rough patch, and not let you slip into long term drug use, and maybe won't be fazed by your writing here looking for support. However, I cannot read your post and sit and know that that is the best thing for you.

• Posted

I am having insomnia problems since a month now . When i try to sleep weird thots or images come to my mind and keep me awake . I try benzo . Half or the half of a 3mg benzo called lexotanil . Enough to give me a 9 hour sleep . Try it it will help
  • Posted

Ive been sick for about a week now and I can't sleep cause of it. I had this cough that would just keep me up all night. Now that the cough is nearly through I feel like a zombie. I haven't slept in like 3 days and my anxiety is just at all time high. I'm just as scared as you are. Did you ever get to sleep?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.