Desperate for help for my Son's eczema

Posted , 6 users are following.

My Son has had eczema since birth, along with hay fever and asthma. He has bad turns then his Skin becomes better with the help of steroid creams and tablets.

Over the last 6 weeks his skin has been awful with eczema. It covers all of his back, very red and Itchy and because of the scratching bleeds. It now has started on his face almost like a swollen redness and his scalp is cracking with dryness. It's basically covering his whole body. Every night steroid creams, diprobase and by the morning we are back to square one. It's really starting to get him down and all the Drs do is try a different steroid cream which now make no difference.

He goes to bed with cotton gloves and cream to try and help the eczema on his hands.

I'm really desperate and just don't know what to do now to help my Son

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Lorraine, have you considered that your son's worsening eczema has been caused by steroids. The swelling, the spread and the redness and the fact that steroids are no longer helping would suggest there may be a steroid addiction and he is suffering a withdrawal reaction. People who are atopic with eczema , asthma and hayfever are thought to be particularly prone. If you google red skin syndrome and topical steroid withdrawal you can get more information. There are are also a few good support groups. The solution is quitting topical steroids and entering a difficult withdrawal  phase of many months, but for many it's the answer to their skin issues. Good luck and hope you find some answers. 
    • Posted

Manuka, it has crossed my mind about the steroids because as long as I apply the steroid cream the eczema calms but the minute the steroids are stopped and just apply creams the eczema instantly gets really bad.  I appreciate your help and i will look into red syndrome. Thanks again, will let you know how I get on
    • Posted

The International Topical Steroid Addiction Network has more information and a forum ITSAN.org. There are also facebook sites which are very active, particularly with parents of children going through withdrawal. Let me know if you need more information. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.