desperate for help! gerd/angina?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Sorry for being dramatic but I'm desperate for answers. I'm 47 years old, overweight but have been fortunate enough to be in fairly good health. Six weeks ago I began to get heartburn type pains a few times a day. Then on my way to work one morning the pains were so bad, I ended up in casualty as I thought it was a heart attack. Ecg and chest xray & bloods were normal so I was referred to the chest pain clinic two weeks later. At the clinic, my treadmill test heart results were normal but I'd only managed to walk for 2 mins before pain set in. I'm now due an angiogram on Friday. The doctor says if this is clear, then it could be a gastric problem. My problem is I've now been signed off sick from work for the past 6 weeks as I can't even walk to the bus stop before the pains cripple me now I can't lay down, sleeping is nigh on impossible as soon as I lay down I get a burning pain in my chest, then a numbness spreads to to shoulders and down to my elbow, I'm off my food (unlike me) & feel like there's a lump in my throat. I'm concerned about my angiogram as I need to lie flat for a hour but the pain won't allow me. I've been trawling thru medical websites for advice and am thinking of buying some zantac, gavisgon and tum tums. Has anyone else had similar symptoms? I also need to return to work and want my life back. I'm on levothyroxine for underactive thyroid and her tablets following my hysterectomy last year. Thank you xxx

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear Francis 02122

Was intrigued at your history.

You mentioned having an Endoscopy and the results.

But you do not say  whether the findings excluded H. Pylori.

Do I take it from your lack of comment on it that H.Pylori was definitely excluded ?

• Posted

Hi Derek, yes i have had a test for H.Pylori but it came back negative. I have good and bad days with digestive problems, and know i need to stick to the advice given as i am tempted to eat forbidden foods when i am feeling ok.
    • Posted

Hi Frances

You are in a very small minority not having H Pylori with your symptoms.

I take it that the test was done whilst you were having the Endoscopy ?

Bear in mind that all four tests have been proven not to be 100% perfect in findin H pylori.

Ranitidine is an H2 Receptor Inhibitor rather than the newer PPIs. Zantac is another one.

Ranitidine has excellent results and less long term problems than PPis.

I take it that you are taking it first thing in the morning and last thing at night.

For a short term pain in the night or between Ranitidine, Calcium Carbonate or other antacids will help. But be careful you do need some acid in the stomach or you will become wide open to stomach infections such as C. difficile.

Take lots of live Yoghurt and probiotics such as Danone and Yakult. They are extremely helpful.

• Posted

Just an afterthought.

You were not taking Ranitidine before your Endoscopy were you ?

• Posted

Thank you for your advice Derek. I had the test for H.Pylori before my endoscopy and was not taking the Ranitadine at that time. Nothing was mentioned about testing for it during my endoscopy.  I started by only taking 1 ranitadine every evening as was worried about side effects. My doctor has told me to take 1 in morning and 1 in evening as you have mentioned. She says its to help heal the patch of inflammation they found, otherwise if it continues for a long time it could lead to further damage. 
    • Posted

I would ask your Doctor to clarify that the H pylori test was proved to be clear during your Endoscopy.

Your Dr is right. High stomach acidity over time can cause damage.

Ranitidine is one of a group of drugs which, although not quite as effective as the PPI group has less long term disadvantages.

If you get pain between doses take an antacid. Taking antacids as well as Ranitidine is generally frowned upon because you do need some acid in your stomach. but that is not to say you should suffer from damaging pain.

Best wishes

• Posted

Derek thanks so much for all of that information. Yes she does respond to gaviscon to a certain amount when she's eaten after six through hunger and been woken in pain. Will defo get dr to do this test and request Ranitidine. How are hiatus hernia treated? Good luck kmg68
    • Posted

Hi

Yes you must get your Doc to do the test for H pylori. Should this prove positive do not request Ranitidine.

The Gold Standard treatment for H. Pylori is a PPI (a different group of drugs to Ranitidine), plus two antibiotics, Clarythromicin and Amoxicillin.

Thousands of people have Hiatus Hernia without any bad effects or knowing that they have it. Particularly applies to older people.

But high concentrations of stomach acidity plus a Hiatus Hernia can heighten the level of acid and damage the bottom of the eosophagus (the food pipe). The Eosophagus lining is not like the mucous lining of the stomach and acid there can cause serious damage. Not all H.pylori sufferers have this problem as well. It's called Gastric Reflux.

The medical term is GERD.

You can have an operation to repair an Hiatus Hernia. It used to be a very difficult procedure. but recent progress means that it can be done with keyhole surgery.

But I would not recommend it for your mother. She should not have a problem with a Hiatus Hernia provided  that she keeps her Gastric acid under control. Far better to resolve the problems there.

• Posted

PS

Sorry - I can't remember.

Did the Endoscopy show that she had a Hiatus Hernia ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.