Desperate For Relief of Constipation Bloated Gas

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all.  I'm a 36 year old male living in The States and I've suffered with GI issues since I was a teenager.  In 2002 I had my gallbladder removed which I think was the beginning of the end.  Unfortunately I think my issues are the aftermath of yo yo dieting, diet pills and anorexia in my teenage years.

Though my symptoms have changed over the years, I currently suffer from constipation, gas bloating, and cramps.

For the most part I seldom get the urge to go to the bathroom.  If I let the problem go and don't use medicine, I typically feel uncomfortably full and have a heavy feeling all day, I usually won't eventually go.  

Usually, to alleviate the issue, or prevent it from happening, and have a bowel movement in the morning, I either take senna or some type of over the counter colon cleansing/laxative agent the night before, or take mineral oil and or a stool softener the night before.  I've also, in the past, tried Amatiza, Linzess, Movantic and trulance.  

Recently I've started to combine the use of tap water enemas with using suppositories- as the med's/supplement oftenbcause diarreah. 

Though I'm often able to relieve some of my constipation, the second part of my problem is that I'm often gassy, bloated, and  cramped.  I know it seems these symptoms are due to the constipation or meds but I'm noticing even when I do happen to go to the bathroom without "assistance," I still experience gas bloating, cramps, etc.  the gas I have is moreso intestinal, it's not just farting a lot (to put it bluntly).  It sloshes around in my gut and feels like marbles traveling through a tube.  My pains/cramps are typically in my upper right abdomen or my lower left side near my peivic bone.  Sometimes the gas causes the pain and sometimes it doesn't.  I notice the enemas cause more of these symptoms than the medicine.  Sometimes it feels like the water is still stuck up there even after I expell it.

All in all, the only time I feel somewhat normal is when I do not eat.  For example, if I want to go out on a Saturday night and not feel bloated, cramps, etc, I'd have to fast all day Saturday.

I know I have two separate issues going on, however, At this point, I feel like if I was able to have a complete bowel movement some of these symptoms would subside.  I've had every test and nothing is ever found.

My question to readers is: are there any recommendations to help with constipation (whether it's medicine, supplements,  home remedies, etc.) that could help prevent the constipation but not flare up the other symptoms. Ideally something that will just make me "regular." 

I am absolutely desperate and welcome any input.  

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Could be IBS if no test has found anything. Try lots of fruit and avoid gassy vegetables like broccoli, cabbage and brussels sprouts and avoid fizzy drinks.  See your doctor again for a definitive diagnosis.
    • Posted

Thank you.  Yes I've been starting to real hone in on diet.  I do think I'm one step further in the right direction 

• Posted

Hi Albert, i've sent you a PM, interesting article on the Brain Gut relationships.

• Posted

Oh wow thank you so much, I didn't even realize a private message option was an option on here. Thank you so very much.

• Posted

I have the same problem. I always use orlistat before, not sure but I believe that my gut is now experiencing the sideeffects. Severe bloating, pain in my upper quadrant. Drinking warm water in the morning helps and as well as LemonAid, bought it at casa de sante. Anyway, it's a combination of ginger, lemon and turmeric and some other stuff, you can maybe take a look and do your own concoction... 

• Posted

Thank you so much, yeah it is a true nightmare. I actually am having somewhat of a good day today however yesterday was terrible. In order to be able to go to the bathroom this morning last night, I took to do local wax, one and a half servings of MiraLAX, to set up hills, and fiber supplements.  One would think that would have put me in the bathroom for hours but all it did was make me go regular. Unfortunately however I am experiencing some bloating and gas, I think it's due to all the medication.     My acupuncturist started me on that regimen of hot water with lemon in the morning, and water throughout the day. I began drinking water with cucumber ginger, lemon, and mint leaves. Not exactly sure whether it helps although I know Ginger is very good for settling the stomach, but it does improve the taste of the water 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.