Desperate, help please

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am sitting at my desk at work trying to stop the tears. Awful weekend, had to call Samaritans, my fear is that I don't want to exist anymore, what is the point in me or just anything. I am on 50mg sertraline and have been for a couple of years, seeing gp again tomorrow. I am so tired, everything is slow motion and it feels like I want to vomit my own body to get rid of it. So frightened

2 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I too am feeling in a deep dark hole.  Started off as panic attacks in August, and trying to get meds correct.  I am currently trying citalopram.  Know that you are not alone.  I am very scared too, and feel I will never get out, but that is the depression talking.  You will get through this.
    • Posted

Hello greentea, the deep dark hole is horrid. How are you finding the citalopram? For me it worked for a while but then seemed to stop but I am 53 and have been depressed on and off well for 30 or more years. I remember that we do come out of it but I cannot imagine it right now even though I have before.

I am scared too sweetie, sitting at my desk at work but not wanting to even exist let alone talk to colleagues.

We will get through this, thank you so much for your support xx

• Posted

I just started on the citalopram 4 days ago, so I don't know how well it will work.  It helps me sleep, but still feeling very dark, and lonely.  I am 53 too.  I think this also has something to do witih menopause.  My doctor has me on estrogen.  I know HRT is not good, but I will do anything to try to get out of this black hole.  Please check back in and let us know how you are doing.  Take care, and know that it will get better.  These things don't last forever.

• Posted

Hello Honey, I have a feeling the menopause will be making this worse, there have been a few other triggers. My GP has not suggested hrt and to be honest I don't want to go there; the tiny increase in zoloft is helping I think.

I feel very lonely, it is hard because you can;t even be bothered to eat or clean sometimes and with no support it is so difficult. Do you live alone?

xxxx

• Posted

Hi Marie,  I went ahead with the HRT, but I intend to get off it once I have the depression under control.  My husband talked me into it.  I live with my husband and daughter.  Thankfully I have the most understanding husband.  I went to see my doctor last night, and he told me to stop taking the lithium because it may be keeping my antidepressant from working.  I am hoping to feel better soon.  How are you doing?
  • Posted

things do get easier,they will never go away 100 percent but you learn to live with it,depression is not nice and thoose who never go through it never understand really,people who are depressed are normaly thoose who over think and worry about other peoples feelings instead of our own,basicly the depressed people are the kind hearted,nice people of this world

• Posted

Thank you Gary, I have been told this but we often don't believe it do we? The world hurts, neglect and cruelty to animals hurts everyday and I spend time on them because otherwise there feels no point in existence but have felt like this since I was 17 so in some ways I have kind of learned to live with it except when something triggers and downward spiral like the one I am in now, new symptoms, scary feelings. Thank you for your support x

• Posted

Wishing you the best when you see your GP tomorrow. Is this your 1st time depression? I personally think your medicine has to be changed and you will feel better. You will exist. People try a lot of antidepressants till the right one is found.

Keep in touch.

• Posted

Hello Shiraz, thank you for your reply. I have had depression from being a teenager but it has taken different forms and I have tried different meds. I agree that the correct medication or combination of meds is very important. I will report back when I have seen her this evening because I cannot stop crying and I feel rotten and dark in my own skin xx
    • Posted

Marie, thanks for your reply. I really wish you the best from the bottom of my heart as you go see your doctor.

We all are with you as much as you are with us.

Keep in touch.

• Posted

Hi Marie, you were supposed to see your doc about 2 weeks ago. Did he change your or increased your dose?

How you feeling?

Shiraz.

• Posted

Hello Shiraz, I did see my GP, think I posted it somewhere on here, she didn't increase my dose but has referred me to a counsellor, however long that is going to take. I have felt so low I have hardly been able to join in the discussions. I am at work and currently cannot see any point at all in being alive.

How are you xxxx

• Posted

Marie, you need to see a psychiatrist, not a GP.  I think your condition needs more expertise.  A GP doens't have the expertise to get you through this.  Get a psychiatrist who will call back when you have questions, and will check up on you every few days as needed.  My psych does that to see how I am on meds, and adjusts if necessary.  Please call the suicide hotline.  I know you can get out of this.  I also think that therapy is good, but yours sounds chemical, so pleases get the right doctor.

• Posted

Hi Marie - Sorry to read of your situation. I'm sure others here have advised you likewise, but talk to your GP. You may need a change of meds. Are you seeing a psychologist at all? Keep your chin up. Meow.

• Posted

Hi everybody

Well, I saw my GP last night and told her how extreme I felt. She told me to stay on 50mg sertraline but to be honest I have increased it to 75mg and I am not internalising as much, or as teary, well this is the first day I guess I have felt a tiny bit better. She is referring me to a phsychologist again because if you don't or can't see the point in yourself, tablets cannot ever get to the root of it can they?

She did offer to sign me off for a few days but I have RSI and will probably have to have an op on my wrist which will mean more time off so I thought I had better  not.

How is everyone else feeling?

Can I just say, this is the best thing I have done, joining this forum, xxxx

• Posted

Hello Marie

I wondering how you got on at the docs.  I think increasing your dose is a good idea - it's been a grim winter and your serotonin levels are going to be rock bottom anyway which will make you feel like utter hell. You don't suffer from any auto-immune disease do you (you mention RSI) as it has now been established that certain auto-immune problems can interfer with serotonin receptors as setraline is an SSRI. Like you I've got problems with my wrists too - too much typing for a living/RA, SS and RSI seeing my rheumy on Monday oddly enough. Anyway at the moment tucked into my bed, electric blanket on, fairy lights on, burning Yankee candle and surrounded by my cats and just finished watching a film on Netflix - not feeling too bad.  Let me know how you get on with 75mgs

• Posted

How are you feeling today Elisabeth? I am trying to smile and engage with people at work and I am scared because the weekend is coming up and although I cannot always engage at work, the weekends can be so lonely and dark.

The increase in medication seems to be working slightly in that I don't feel a teary but just feel like I am never going to feel just sort of normal again, mind you, I don't know what normal is anymore. I feel so mentally exhausted that she wanted to sign me off sick but because I will need an operation to relieve the tenosynovitis, I cannot keep going off sick sad

I don't have an autoimmune condition as far as I know. Your bedroom sounds like a fairy grotto, I do love sparkly lights

How did you get on with the rheumatologist?

• Posted

Hello Marie

Sorry I've taken so long to respond unfortunately I've just been on a week long 'cocodamal cold turkey' it actually dawned on me that it could be that I'm addicted to an 'opiate' that is causing me to feel so horribly horribly depressed - had a light bulb moment - check your pain killers for they can make your depression I lot worse. My bedroom is like a fairy grotto I do it to cheer myself up - got over 2000 fairy lights - the cats seem to love them too.  Rheumy was fine - its a formality there isn't anything they can do.  Have you bought yourself a 'big' bottle of geranium oil yet?

Liz

• Posted

Oh my goodness, what is your daily dosage? Have you come off them yourself?  I  take either 50mg tramadol or 30mg codeine a day, is that enought to make it worse do you think?. Sometimes it is 2 but not very often. I do hope it alleviates the depression, I haven't been able to communicate either really, been feeling terrible

Friend gave me some geranium, gorgeous in the bathsmile

xx

• Posted

Hello Marie

I was taking 6 x 30/500 dose of Co-cods a day - which used to give me a lovely happy (not like me to be happy) albeit short lift - but lately I've been so depressed that I started doing some research and came across 'opiate' addiction and depression.  I am somebody who can't take anything that produces a high (alcohol or recreational drugs) for I come down to earth with a horrible bump but because this was a med for some obscure reason it just didn't occur to me.  You are not taking anywhere near as much as I was.  

Buy yourself a burner and burn geranium oil as well and sprinkle it all over your bed.  You can buy it on Amazon (cheaper that H&B) - it does seem to help.  

Liz

Liz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.