Desperate Mum

Posted , 7 users are following.

My poor daughter has suffered bad acne since the age of 11. Now 18 we have tired nearly everything. Just started today on oxytetracycline as a last resort. I have lookind into going to sk;n (clinic) and we were recomended that she has 3 salycic and 3 pyrovic peeels. Saw the GP today and he totally slated this so now we are not going ahead. Are they safe? I don't want to damage her skin anymore than it is. If we go for an NHS dematological referal what can/do they suggest? Is it just roaccutaine? Bit unsure about her taking that. Any advice welcome.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

The worst things she can do is:

Squeeze the spots (pustules)-this tends to spread the bacteria and causes irritation and swelling, which can lead to scarring!

She should if necessary-pop yellow heads in a tissue and the gently express the contents. Do not force as this will damage the oil gland lower down in the skin and once again lead to scarring.

She should not use 'harsh' alcohol based products, this will strip the skin of it's natural pH protective barrier. It will initially dry the skin out but then lead to ittitation and more spots.

She should use a gentle exfolient and apply a face mask 3 times a week (calamine / kaolin) are cheap and help to draw out debris blocking and irritating the oil glands. It will help to calm her skin too and soak up excess oil.

She should moisturise daily, using a 'Water based' product, preferably with calming / antibacterial ingredients it them. Avoid mineral oils as these will 'block' the pores, leading to more spots.

If she gets red lumps (with no pus), do not squeeze. keep using the kaolin mask. You can buy from a chemist, use a scoop and a few drops of water. leave to dry for 15-20mins. Dont rinse in the sink as it could block the sink!

Try: Lavera, Eve Taylor, Susan Molyneux (Camphor range)or other 'naturally based' products. Avoid harsh chemicals, which people tend to use when they are desperate to get rid of spots.

Some beauty therapist offer High Frequency Treatments-this uses ozone to destroy offending bacteria and it helps the healing process. Look for full ITEC level 3 + qualification. Good Luck. Remember you shouldnt need to spend a fortune! A cleanser, exfolient, moisturiser (as this protects) and mask ingredients should help.

• Posted

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply in such detail. I really appreciate it. The kaolin mask sounds particularly useful and will give it a go.

We did go to see someone at a clinic but felt the treatment would be too harsh on young skin so decided against it. We have see a dermatologist who was reluctant to put her on Rooaccutiane as about to start Uni. So still battling on with it but sad to see her go through it.

• Posted

Hi Sarah, I had the same problem. I"ve found very good lotion - Perfect face. If you want I"ll tell you how to use it. This is the best protuct I've used.
  • Posted

The worst thing in my view is that so little is done for acne sufferers. "Leave  it alone" "You'll grow out of it" is the medical view.

Acne comes - in my view - in three parts.  Spots, whiteheads and blackheads.  My first beloved [50 odd years ago] had bad acne and was given the usual advice.  She decided to ignore most of it and with my help adopted a fierce routine.  Firstly - for cosmetic reasons - carefully squeezed facial spots when yellow after steaming over hot water.  Dealt with blackheads [hundreds] all over back by very hot baths followed by scraping with an old knife [sounds gross but got rid of 90% at once].  Then used surgical spirit all over and washed/scrubbed [this will horrify you and the medical profession] using a paste made of detergent powder and a loofah.  Was prescribed the "old fashioned" contraceptive pill.

These "treatments" worked to a very large degree.  The main thing that she said was that she was not prepared in her younger years for nothing to be done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.