Desperate pain

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have just over 4 weeks to go for my THR. I'm getting desperate. I'm in so much pain. Taking excessive pain killers with large glasses of wine to knock me out to try and get a few hours sleep. At this stage I just want to cry by 5pm every day. I'm sure it's deteriorating.

Has anyone experienced this desperation and how did you cope? Time off work is a nono. I'm moving house in 1 week to a gorgeous new house and I can't work up any enthusiasm....much to my other halfs annoyance. I feel like no one around me "gets it". Which of course they can't.

Wine pain killers and food.... to try and comatose myself until I have to repeat the cycle again the next day. Probably killing my liver in addition to piling the weight on despite my vow to lose a pile before surgery. The other side of the op seems sooooo far away. I just hope it's the saviour I need.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes Ffion....You dont say what painkillers you are taking, question  Tramadol 50s are very good, I used to take up to  8 per day, sometimes fewer...cry  and even them my pain got so bad I had to take time off of work and my operation fell in the middle of my time off, could not have landed better, lol  I could not get to work after parking the car and was a pavement shuffler using 500mg of Naproxin and omeprizole every 12 hours, with the two trammies, every four hours, rolleyes  I guess that I just got used to it, suffered abuse from kids on the street, accused of being an drunken tramp as I hobbled along whenever I got out, which, was rare at the end,  redface  as I just could not get out and about for a week at all, so much pain, even with the Naproxin, all they did was dull it, take the egde off it,  cool  and I had both sides operated on within 9 weeks of each other, and am so much better now.  eek  You will be sore untill the dressing comes off, yes it is painful after the operation  idea  but it gets better quickly after two weeks once the dressing is off...Are you getting both sides done ??

Looking forward to following this more as it developes, best of luck Ian.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your comments. I take 200 tramadol 450 pregablin an d as much dihydrocodiene as I can get down me. The surgeon won't do 2 sides at once mind wil l be 3 months apart as I also hav e alot of spinal injury do he said it would increase risk of complications to much. Although right hip as bad on x-ray it doesn't give me quite as much pain. I begged hi m to do both together but no joy. Ihave had below waist paralysis due to cauda equine twice which were surgical emergencies but I swear this is worse...... or maybe time has dampened the memories with my spine.

• Posted

I can totally relate to the pain pills and alcohol prior to my surgery.  I drank hard liquor to help cope.  The good news is that after my surgery, I didn't need the alcohol anymore.  They will keep you on the pain meds for several weeks after your surgery while you are on the mend and to help get you through the PT that is required.

I was off all prescription pain meds by 12 weeks and I haven't once had to turn back to the alcohol.  I'm now 7 months post op and doing amazingly well.  I'm so glad that I had the surgery.  Try not to worry too much.  I would say be very careful with taking pain pills and alcohol, but if you are anything like me your body has become accustomed to it.  Wishing you the best!!

• Posted

Thank you .. .. here's hoping! I'm usually such a strong minded person I usually can cope with so much.

• Posted

Anyone who hasn't had to live with chronic pain can't possibly understand how debilitating it can be.  I love this website because everyone else has been through very much the same thing.  It's comforting to know that you're not the only one going through it.  Try not to do anymore physical activity than you have to while you are hurting this much.  You will be so much happier once you've had the surgerysmile

• Posted

And you are already coping with so much on a daily basis. Be kind to yourself and see just how strong you are each day. Because the effects of this are usually progressive, we tend to forget just how much pain we deal with every waking and sleeping moment of everyday, as well as the accommodations that we ?make to our life each day to manage and maneuver to maintain "as normal" as /(if?) possible. 😉

• Posted

Hello

hang in there.. I waited too long to have my surgery done.. way too long.. I had reasons.. my mother was ill.  iw asnt full time .. my son was in college.. ect..  when i made the decision to have it done.. I was 2.5 months away.. from the surgery..why because I had to work the holiday at my work..

I could not sleep.. at all. .let alone work my job..( in healthcare)..  faithfully took my meds..which was tramdol and 1000 mg of naproxin.. at times I threw in a tylenol.I was thankful for a drikn here or there.. because it helped me not feel any pain.. I hestictated doing that.. though too often.

Do I think people understood.. well my H did a bit and yelled at me alots as to why i put it off. I didnt want to complain.. I was exhausted so much of the time.. just getting through a day..

but the day finally came.. I had anteriolateral....

I have to be honest.. its better you save as much energy as possible.

they work really begins once the surgery is done.

yes a few days of rest.. but you will need all the stamina  you have and percerverence. to get back to YOU..Im 8 weeks post op.. and going back to work in a healthcare job..

Im not 100%  but im very good.. I worked very hard to get where im at.. There is muscle tightness..usually.. Im still not the greatest at going up steps..

But my advice is follow all orders to the T.. and you will recover so quick.. 

good luck and I understand what you feel.. the quality of my life was terrible before this surgery.. but it will get better..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.