Desperate plea for help

Posted , 5 users are following.

A few years ago I began having allergy attacks. Totally out of the blue, never having suffered before. Today, I get this every week, one day a week and mostly on a Saturday. I was prescribed cetirizone and a nasal spray. These don’t seem to stop the one day attack. Every time I stand up my nose runs like water, the itch is insane, I’m tired, foggy, can’t concentrate or focus at all. I go to bed at night and wake up Sunday morning feeling fine. Blood tests came back as “mild dust mite allergy” but I can say hand on heart there is nothing mild about my symptoms. I have bought a new mattress, anti-allergy linens etc etc and there doesn’t seem to be any exposure to anything or anything I do differently one day a week. Please help! I have another ENT appointment in a month but last time I went I don’t think he believed me when I said I can genuinely sneeze hundreds of times a day. This is ruining my life ??

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dear Julie,

My husband had this every Friday for two years. We changed all the linens, went to ENT,  etc etc  Due to contracts and construction work he had Fridays off. 

We went through everything as you get desperate, I know, even that he likes to cook curry on Fridays.

Is it the spices????

His eyes ran, he sneezed all day and was miserable.

He went to work for relief. Friday was the day he had a lay in and spent most of his day in the new flat. We started to go out on Fridays very early and he was fine. He has never had an allergy at all. 

He even started wearing a paper face mask for relief on Friday  - but had to take it off to sneeze.

The problem was mould in the flat. Mould that we did not know was there as it was new when we moved in but  it had black mould that had been painted over so that we couldn't see any. 

nce it started to appear on the walls in the second year  - we washed the walls and re-painted - what we didn't know was that the spores where always in the air and constantly re-producing. Even if you cannot see them.

I bought two air purifiers by Ho Medics with HEPA filters (Amazon) and we sleep with them on through the night. I also put the lounge one on an hour before he comes home. He has been free of all medication and can sleep well. 

Its been very effective.

I was also advised to wash all bedding and towels (tea towels, bath towels and hand towels)  at 60 degrees as that is the only temperature that you kill all mites and spores.  Then to iron everything to kill the rest off. 

All clothes washed at 40 degrees must be ironed even though some can be dried and pulled on - then you kill all mites. Never wash clothes at 30 degrees because it is too low a temperature to kill anything off.

I never have anything drying indoors now as damp washing is a breeding ground. 

When dusting use a damp cloth to pick up the dust and mites - do not flick it around or use a furniture spray as that is just adding to the irritation in the nose. A damp cloth on all surfaces picks everything up. Even perfume will cause irritation as the nose lining is so swollen.

I bought a vacuum with a HEPA filter for the carpets.

We now regularly wash the filters in the a/c every month and have been amazed at the dirt that is rinsed out.

I clean the HEPA filters every two months.

We aim to get out of this flat and into a new one by next Feb.....we just have to save up for the moving fee and a deposit on a newer / younger flat.

I hope this helps and I know what what you are going through. If its not this you are doing something on a Saturday that you do not do through the week. Its a case of elimination.

Best of luck

L.

• Posted

Hi Julie,

Sorry to hear about your discomfort.

I think what you need to do is focus on boosting your immunity. You can get vitamin C (one with high potency like Forever Living Absorbent C) - I'm not trying to advertise their brand, just stating what has worked for me. Also, don't leave out fruits - you can make juices and smoothies a regular!

I guess the trick here is to increase the strength of your entire system so that you feel well regardless of what goes on around you (dust mite, pollen, etc).

I hope this helps. All the best

• Posted

I have every sympathy, I went through this for ten years with attacks sometimes as much as several times a week, and yes I believe you about the sneezing several hundred times a day.. For the first seven years or so I thought I must be allergic to something but I eventually realised that my triggers were cold and stress.  As you say, a night's sleep literally rebooted me and I'd be fine next day.  Even a daytime sleep would help.  Once I identified my triggers I tried acupuncture (didn't work but it does for some) and hypnotherapy (helped for stress).  It was a McTimoney chiropractor who sorted me out.  It was so bad before I saw him that I was often unable to work.  Now, after two years of chiropractic treatment, I get an attack every three months or less.

?Is it possible your trigger is not actually an allergy at all and something like stress?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.