Desperatly Seeking advice newly diagnosed

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi please can someone advise me. I recently got diagnosed with an svt based on my symptoms as they were unable to capture an episode with an ecg but some of my symptoms don’t appear anywhere on the svt pages I have read. My episodes have all happened during the night and woken me from sleep and all follow the same pattern. I wake up feeling confused and with intense nausea and feel as tho I’m going to be sick, within a few seconds my heart begins to race it feels as tho it’s outside of my body and so fast and loud I can hear it (

I measured it once and it was about 165bpm) I break out in a sudden sweat all over my body that turns cold and then all the symptoms subside. The whole thing happens in a few minutes. It’s terrifying. I can’t see anywhere that nausea and sweating are act symptoms could I have been wrongly diagnosed? Does anyone else get these symptoms and episodes that only happen at night? Please help. Many thanks Charlie 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Charlie, I definitely have svt episodes that wake me up in the middle of the night...my rate is 200+. I don’t get nausea or sweats, but maybe others here have. 
  • Posted

Hi Charlie,

It sounds like classic SVT to me.  My attacks were random and could happen at any time, often during the night waking me up.  Heart rate went up to over 200 bpm and, in my case, lasted for hours!  I broke out in a cold sweat and felt as though I had a crushing band around my head and my heart beats were so loud and fierce they felt as though they were rocking the bed!  I was left exhausted and completely washed out for days afterwards.

Because it was so random it took a long time before I was able to catch anything on a monitor and be properly diagnosed but then I had an ablation - which I highly recommend - and all has been well since.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Mary thanks so much for responding. Have you heard of anyone else who has nausea just before an episode? It always seems really strange to me that that is the first symptom and not the racing hear (tho the two are only a few seconds apart). I also had one episode where I had the nausea and sweating brielfly and the racing heart never happened? It’s very confusing and the doctors haven’t offered any advice so far. I really appreciate your advice. 
  • Posted

I think symptoms can vary from person to person.  SVT can make you feel very unwell in all sorts of ways.  I'm surprised you have been given a definite diagnosis without actually catching and recording an episode but I expect your cardiologist has the experience to be able to form an opinion based on what you have told him/her.  Try not to worry and trust that whatever is recommended will be in your best interests. 

• Posted

Never had nausea with my SVT (50 years of it), but maybe others will confirm same as a symptom.  The intense fear is very common with SVT, though.  Try to remember that an otherwise healthy heart well tolerates SVT, Charlie.  Also, please remember that much can now be done to treat SVT,  with ablation offering many of us an actual cure. Do take good care of yourself.  I wish you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.