Detached from reality, dizzy, brain fog, ear buzzing, pressure in head. I feel like I am in a dream.

Posted , 9 users are following.

My story

When I was about twelve years old I remember I became so light headed in the bathroom that I almost fell over and hit my head on the bathtub.

after I completely Grade 8 I felt completely normal. I had no issues what so ever. My mental health was fine.

Once I started middle school for grade 9 I remember I was in a sex education class. The teacher showed a video of a lady giving birth and I remember starting to feel really dizzy, I felt fuzzy and had a really hard time standing up. I went into the hallway and sat there feeling ill. It is hard to remember every detail. I was not grossed out by the video or scared by it at all. It just happened suddenly where I felt this wave of weirdness come on.

Later on during my time at middle school I smoked weed a few times, and this one time I got so messed up from a couple bong tokes. I remember everything started to feel really weird. Like My brain was so foggy. My heart was racing and I could not stand up without feeling dizzy and needing to sit down or else fall over. I felt clammy and I could not focus on anything. I was not sure if I was saying words or just thinking them. When I would try to talk it would be very difficult to get words out. My face felt cold and pale. I did not feel nauseous just dizzy and confused.

My dad came and picked me up from my friends house that day where I was smoking the weed. He took me home and after about a day I started to feel normal again. I decided from that point on I never wanted to feel that feeling again because it was terrifying. So I stopped smoking weed all together. And honestly I only smoked weed maybe five to ten times before that and very small amounts. I was not a heavy weed smoker at all.

A weeks later that feeling came back. Without smoking any weed. I had the exact same feelings start to appear and it was really scary. This time it took about a week to go away and feel normal again, but it did go away.

After that I am not sure exactly how much time had passed at this point, but one day I was sitting in my lunch room at school. I was with some friends and we were just having a conversation nothing special or anything. All of a sudden, and I mean SUDDENLY out of nowhere, that feeling came back. I felt like i went from normal reality to feeling like I was in a dream. I became so detached from reality. My brain was covered in a fog. I felt disoriented. I had a buzzing in my ears. A pressure started to form in my head. My head felt so heavy. I had a hard time focusing and concentration. My eye sight got grainy. I had a hard time walking straight and I felt dizzy.

From that moment on that feeling NEVER fully went away. It has been thirteen years since I have felt this way. Some days I feel a little bit more clear then others. But some days are so bad that I am afraid to even drive. The only way I can really explain it is that I feel disconnected from reality. I feel like I am dreaming. It is so strange. Like if I rated it from one being the least intense and 5 being the most intense, normally for most days I range between a 1-2. But sometimes I have bad days where it is at a 3-4 and then some days I cannot function at all and it hits a 5. Days where I am at a five rarely happen and they are usually random.

When I started high school in grade ten I remember on my first day I walked into the doors of school and a really big wave of this suddenly came across me. I felt dizzy and could not stand properly. It was like the world was spinning around me kind of.

After high school I got a couple really bad episodes. They were so bad that I would literally lose my vision. It would start with a small feeling of clamminess, then I would start to feel cold and my eyesight would start to get really grainy. Then big white and grey spots would take over until it was completely white and I could not see anything at all. I would feel sick and my head would start hurting. A pressure in my head would build up and I could hear my head pulsing. At that point I could not do much other then lay down and stop moving or doing whatever I was doing and wait for it to pass. It would take anywhere from 5-10 minutes to pass and I would go back to feeling about a 2-3 on my 1-5 chart.

I have been tested for anaemia which I do not have. My iron levels are actually in the normal to high range. I eat a balanced diet for the most part. I really do not know what could have caused this to come on so suddenly at age 13. It is scary, and sometimes I wonder if it is possible for me to go back to how I used to feel. I remember feeling so scared and hopeless. I feel into a bit of a depression because my life had so suddenly flipped upside down and I have no explanation for it.

Now, After 13 years (I am 26 now), I have been able to get used to it for the most part. I actually have a hard time remembering what it felt like to feel normal because it has been so long. I have spoken with doctors, and most of them say that i have anxiety or depression. Which I do not believe. I think it is more then just anxiety or depression. I never had anxiety before this and if anything this has brought on anxiety because it is a scary feeling.

I hope someone can help me get a little closer to figuring out what is wrong with me. I wonder if maybe it is something to do with my brain. Or maybe a auto immune disease. I have no idea and any doctor I talk to has no idea. Please help if you can.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

Maybe you should try a neurologist. Have you had your vitamin levels and blood pressure tested?

With what is going on in the world at the moment it may be tricky getting to see a doctor as most people are being advised to stay in their homes. But perhaps try taking some vitamin d and b12. I was deficient in these and was feeling really dizzy, panicky and my vision would sometimes go blurry and wobbly and had I quite a few health problems as a result. Most people are advised to take vitamin d in the winter anyway and probably at the moment as we aren't able to go out as normal it would be a good idea. I take PPI tablets which makes it hard for me to absorb vitamins so I take spray forms of both vit d and b12 every day as well as a multivitamin and mineral tablet every other day. I would say it is worth at least trying something like that. Also get a blood pressure monitor to test your BP when you are feeling particularly light headed or disorientated. When all this coronavirus thing dies down, make an appointment with a neurologist and explain your symptoms and see what they advise. Good luck.

• Posted

thank you, I do take B12 already, and I do take a Multi Vitamin which has Vitamin D amongst others.

I have had my vitamin levels checked for the most part. But,maybe they missed something.

The blood pressure sounds like something to look into. Everytime I have had it check it is at a normal level, but possibly seeing if it gets higher during a bad day sounds like a good idea.

Thank you!

• Posted

Make an appt. with top neurologist in your area.

Easier said then done with the virus.

I believe it is the right kind of Doctor.

About 20 years ago I was in a market and it looked like all the cereal

was going to fall on me. Fell to the floor and when I got up went immediately to the emergency room Brain scan and other tests.

Diagnosis Benign Positional Vertigo. Just had it one week

ago and it is very scary. I am confident that you will get it

sorted out. Weighted blanket is good for sleep,stress and anxiety.

• Posted

Are you any better.. I slowly became like this 11 months ago. I have anxiety and now fully depressed.. Nothing helps but Ativan, but only short lived.. It also I'm sure messes with my memory even more, when it wears off. I feel like I'm dying it's horrible.Anti- depressants haven't helped, TMS so far hasn't helped... So desperate to try anything. You poor thing , at least I'm 46, and have lived a little. but reality I have suffered from horrible OCD and anxiety all my life... only difference is I wasn't like this, with massive brain fog, and debilitating depression because of it.. I have been to 4 neurologist, 1 was an expert in degenerative disease. A few psychiatrist etc...no help at all. They say it's mental illness....anxiety, depression etc....

• Posted

Plenty of rest is needed, and look after your mental health through exercises and working out.

• Posted

I know as you said you don't believe you have anxiety or depression which i also believe. My whole life ive had to deal with anxiety and just being anxious in general. However there are certain traumatic experience in life that can happen that can make you feel funny. I believe the feeling you felt after smoking and having a bad high set you off and your brain triggered fight or flight. Doing research ive seen that once its triggered it can shut off the frontal parts of your brain that control memory , emotions , etc. Ive triggered this once before with a bad doubt of insomnia. I couldn't sleep and thought something was wrong with me and i freaked out triggered a panic attack worst I've ever had. Due to me freaking out over it instead of reacting calmly it went from bad to worse. My brain didn't shut off for like 3 days straight like not a wink of sleep for 3 days my brain felt extra wired. Some people get worse ive heard from a dude that was up 5 days straight. What helped me was just staying calm and not trying to force it. I eventually just calmly fell asleep again nightly but a week later i woke up feeling very disconnected and my memory was off felt like i was living in a movie similar symptoms you feel. Only thing i can connect a dot to is the extreme stress i felt. Ive been to docs looked over multiple times and everything seems to be in tact im only 23 aswell. I would recommend seeing someone who can help you calm your brain and flip them switches off. Some therapist that specialize in stress or PTSD. They have helped me in the past. It will not be a magic over the night fix it will take time and the right mind set. The negative thoughts and depression from all these odd feelings made everything worse and linger longer than they had to. Your thoughts and brain can be more powerful than you can imagine. Never did i think i could lose the ability and mind set to fall asleep but due to my own negative thinking and panic it got me there and held me there till i broke the cycle. You are in control you have the power to break this cycle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.