Determining whether I am suffering from ETD or TMJ

Posted , 2 users are following.

Recently have an ear and jaw issue where my right ear feels like it needs popping and the top of my jaw bone just under the ear lobe is very sore.  ENT thinks it might be fluid in the inner ear and has ordered a choclea scan to determine.  My hearing has tested perfect, but still feel like ear needs popping like the estacian tube is blocked.

Can anyone tell me if there is any way to definitively determine whether I have a case of TMJ or ETD?

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello, yes, you're in fact suffering Eustachian Tube Dysfunction.  Fluid (mucus) cannot drain due to all the inflammation swelling your tubes.

If your ear/ears have been blocked for quite a long time now, you'll probably need a course of Prednisolone Steroid tablets to get rid of the inflammation.

I'm very sceptical whether TMJ affects our ears by making them block.  My problem is allergies and sinusitis

related.

Which country are you in ?

Anne

• Posted

Thanks for your reply!  I am in U.S.. ENT Dr. has ordered a cochlea scan to determine whether there is water behind the ear.  My jaw is sore, but not at the hinge of the jaw bone. My discomfort is located directly below the ear lobe on the neck and appears to feel swollen. I have tried all of the estsacian tube-clearing maneuvers to no avail.  Ear has felt plugged for three weeks now. 

I never actually talked to the Doctor, just his Physicians Assistant.  I'm pretty sure that you are right and that this is a blocked estacian tube.  Just don't know how to proceed with the doctor.  Still waiting for the choclea scan proceedure to be cleared by insurance.

• Posted

You need to request a decent course of Prednisolone tablets to get rid of the inflammation that's preventing the tubes from draining......they're the only meds that work for me when ears have been blocked for so long.  They must be bad that you can't even pop them.  Mention about this Forum and how many people suffer this awful condition and Pred. are the only thing that will help....a part from surgery to fit tubes, or trying Balloon Dilation......even these procedures don't always succeed.

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.