detox at home and drinking alcohol the same day please help me

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone I am new to this website I have been drinking heavily over the last couple years someone close to me died and it totally devastated me I have not left the house much in the last couple years so I am very isolated in my home I have anxiety and a number of other mentalhealth issues which I won't go into for now I am due to have a home detox on Monday they wanted me to go into rehab but as I don't go out the house much this was not my best option as I get very anxious being around people so with a lot of preparation of my doctors and  my mental health team they agreed to detox me at home I am scared about this as I know on that day I would of drank alcohol and I am worried they will not be able to do the detox as anyone else drank alcohol the same day of their detox I would be grateful for any advice thanks

1 like, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Can you get anyone to be with you? Have you got rid of all alcohol in your house and access to alcohol? Can you get rid of any method of payment so you can't order alcohol in or buy it in any way? 

Try and make it impossible to get access to it as they would in rehab.

i am so rooting for you and know the pain you are feeling.

good luck.

take it one minute at a time if you have to .x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply I have someone with me for the detox but he drinks heavily to and I know their is always alcohol in the house this is also going to be a problem after the detox to my cpn is aware of this but he says he will not stop drinking the medical team are also starting me on a tablet the same time I don't know what it is called but apparently it suppose to help with the cravings after detox I  am really worried about Monday I don't know if I should cancel it I am so confused and depressed over all of this I think I am not worth the help the team have put in because I am just a worthless person
    • Posted

l am sorry to say thats a nono, if you live with someone who drinks rehab is the best option make a appointment with your GP to get reed of the anxiety first, then try to go for rehab then l use to suffer from a heavy anxiety l got reed of it  and now fron drinking 2 bottles of wine a day , l only drink on special occassions.
    • Posted

Hi my detox is planed for Monday don't know what to do that's happening at home one recovery are  coming in to my home
  • Posted

Nobody is worthless, but you have to go about this in the right way to get the best results. It just sounds likeyou are a little underprepared. Having another drinker there as your support is talking chocolate fireguard, maybe even end up encouraging drinking.

I would advise a rethink about who is there with you looking after you.

I don't know what detox they were going to do, as some reduce alcohol daily, but if you were just to carry on as normal it serves no point and wastes a lot of time.

I wish you all the luck to beat this but if you really want to then make the right arrangements/sacrifice & go into rehab.

good luck. 

• Posted

Try to ask your GP for medication for your anxiety , citalprom really helped with my anxiety, you are in catch 22 bcoz many people drink bcoz they are anxious so it is going to be difficult for you jsvkie32726 how do you buy your alcohol and what did you drink l am a recovering alcoholic , l know how hard it is to stop wish the best of luck.
    • Posted

Hi Richard my brother goes and gets my alchol as I don't go out he is also a heavy drinker I drink vodka about 1 half bottles a day plus cider I drink that as soon as I wake up because I start to feel withdrawals so that takes the edge of it I am on atedepresents valafaxine plus deprecate and respire done hence why my doctor is really concerned about my alchol intake so I don't think they would be happy to put me on any more medication i dont know what to do really I don't I want to be free from alchol I really do but what if I can't cope without it 
    • Posted

Always remember one drug will be ok for some but not others.

Citalapram is an SSRI for depression and would most unlikely help him.

My advice to you is Do. not name drugs, always advise a visit to GP.

Hoy are not medically qualified.

Sort if this hurts but we all have to be sure of what we advise.

Linds

• Posted

Hi jsvkie32726 how are you keeping is everything ok, l hope u are fine l was off line fpr a while, how is the detox
    • Posted

Hi Richard the detox was awful apparently they did not give me enough librium but got through it I am really struggling to cope I asked my cpn if it would be a possibility of going into a rehabilitation clinic but I don't know if that is possible as I have had  a home detox  he said he would look into not I don't know how vi stand with it really it's just so it can get stronger and learn to cope without alchol it's getting in possible at home with people drinking round me I am not strong enough yet to cope with that every day I just want to down a bottle vodka but haven't yet I say yet but how I feel it's more is today the day if you not anyone reading this post knows how i stand about going into a rehabilitation centre can you post me a message I am desperate to fight this but I can't do it here thankyou my love to you all
    • Posted

Rehab is not detox and many people go to rehab after detox. Have the people who helped you with your detox not talked about how you move forward?
    • Posted

No Paul no one as said nothing to me my cpn is going to have a word about it to them to be honest I don't think their botherd Paul not even herd of my cpn and that was yesterday he said he was going to have a word with them just makes you want to get blind drink what's the point trying when no one's other information any help I am so depressed over it all 
    • Posted

I am really disappointed about this since I set up and ran an alcohol home detox service in your area and eleven years after I left, I haven't been replaced and there appears to be no access to decent services for people who have alcohol problems.
  • Posted

Hello jsvkie. I am an alcohol treatment practitioner and do home detoxes with people. I would advise you not to be blind drunk when they arrive as they are likely to take a breath reading and delay starting the detox until your alcohol level comes down. However, it is better (safer) if you don't let your alcohol level drop to zero or you will get withdrawal symptoms and the purpose of alcohol detox is to stop those completely and make alcohol detox safe and comfortable for you. They will EXPECT there to be some alcohol in you.

I always advise people to stop drinking at midmight the night before and aim to get their first dose of Librium given to them at 8am but I vary this according to each person's situation (how much they have been drinking etc.)

I would far rather turn up to someone who has been drinking than one who is already in withdrawal and shaking. I would give them a call and try and clarify what time they will arrive on Monday and what time they think you should have your last drink. Nobody is going to 'punish' you for having had a drink. They are aware of your problem and they are doing it to help you.

It's just easier if you are not drunk and incapable when they arrive.

• Posted

Hey paul. 

I hope you don't think I am a complete loser. I'm not. I am a qualified public sector accountant. But I am an alcoholic. I want to help others aswell as help myself. 

• Posted

Not at all smile Why would I think that? I wouldn't do the work I do if I had that view of people with alcohol issues smile
    • Posted

You have done so well as Paul has said you should be really proud of yourself.

I know its not been easy but keep going and you will regain your life.

If you follow Pauls advice you won't go wrong.

Thinking of you.

Linda x

• Posted

Thank you Linda I feel a lot better today  i do feeling positive this morning thankyou so much for your responses if it was not for people on this forum giving me positive comments and advice especially Paul j Turner 1964  I don't think I would of got this far I know the road ahead going to be a difficult one but I feel more positive in taking this journey big hugs to you all and thank you Paul from the bottom of my heart god bless you all will keep you posted on whatever road I take thankyou all

• Posted

You've done really well despite detox being a lot more difficult than it should have been. All the hard work has been yours, we have just given you a little encouragement. I am just really sorry you have been made to suffer because the point of doing a detox is to stop drinking without withdrawal symptoms. You will be ok now, though, there won't be any withdrawal symptoms although the hard job of staying off starts now. We'll be here to keep encouraging you smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.