Detox Diets And Supplements

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, iv been ME for 6 years now and starting to discover different ways to get more energy into my body, im finding that detoxifying really helps because People wirh ME have problems with detoxing, i think this is the way forward to reliving pain and as much raw food as possible and taking supplements to boost immunity, i also use a collagen light therapy sun bed which lifts mood and makes me feel awake and im now trying out an infra red sauna blanket and will be trying the oxegen chambers soon.

Has anyone tryed these treatments and what is your opinion?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

There's no good evidence that any of them will be useful. If you find they make your life better, that's great, but I wouldn't do them in order to help your health because someone else has advised you to.

I'm pretty sure that the infra-red sauna detoxifying claims are nonsense and based upon a misguided understanding as to how the body expels toxins.

I think it's best to be cautious with all these things, but good luck with it.

• Posted

Kathy,

There is a discussion group called CFS/ME suffererers. Let's talk about what WORKS for you. Maybe you could hop on over there and let us know if the oxygen therapy and the Sun blanket help after you try them. Myself, I've been considering the detox idea, and have decided to go at it gradually, rather than a full cleanse all at once. I don't think my body is quite strong enough for that yet. Let us know what works for you tho. Thank you.

• Posted

I tend to agree with Fidd, there is no evidence that anything like that works. De-toxing is what your kidneys and liver are for and unless there's something radically wrong with them there's no reason to believe any attempts at other forms of "de-toxing" are going to have any effect whatsovever.

As far as the immune system is concerned, the major problem, as far as ME/CFS patients are concerned, is that the immune system is usually hyperactive anyway and certainly doesn't need boosting.

There is always the desire with something like ME/CFS to be trying to be "doing something" to improve our condition, whereas the evidence says that little that we do actually helps, other than helping to make us feel in control, which unfortunately with ME/CFS is never the case..

Yes, a healthy diet is always extremely important for health and the healthier one eats the better we will be, but that applies to anybody and unless you've been diagnosed as having specific deficiencies, supplements are going to be of little use.

People with ME/CFS tend to gradually improve with time naturally as the body learns to cope and repairs what it can, but people often ascribe that recovery to all sorts of things that they have "done", unfortunately those things aren't replicable across the ME/CFS population and cause and effect is never proved.

A healthy diet and a very gentle lifestyle is probably the one thing that all of us agree works, as to anything else, everyone seems to have their own favourite regimes and potions that are usually born out of that need to feel in control rather than any actual science.

• Posted

I'm with Fidd about infra-red sauna. Diabetics are advised not to use anything infra-red and if it's bad for them then surely it's bad for everyone? I used to use a hallogen oven but I won't use them now because they work on infra-red.

Raw food and supplements definitely!

• Posted

Sorry i couldnt answer your messages individualy im having problems with iPhone, i will let you know how i got on with the infra red wnd oxegen, the vitamin c in high doses is the very best for me, iv tryed to stop taking a few times and the pain and fatigue comes back realy bad every time, if any of you have time read up about how people with me have difficulty detoxifying vit c helps detox and also i have a problem with catching virus vit C boosts T cells, detox diet removes toxins from and bad bacteria and yeast from your gut, infra red is supposed to be very good for people with so i have read, yet to try though, the only problem I experience with detoxing diets is the lack off calories you have too keep eating all day to get your energy up on raw food diet as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.