Detox help.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have given up heavy drinking now for two weeks.   I feel dreadful ,

sick all day,weak itchy and unable to sleep.    I WAS given chlordiazapoxide but only 8 altogether.      Is it normal ?  This is worse than a bad hangover.  How did others feel?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

HI Samantha, I am sorry to. Hear that you are still suffering after two weeks....it is quite unusual to last that long....

I have been detoxed many times in hospital and at home....

It normally begins to be much easier after about ten days...

It would probably be a good idea to go and see your GP on Monday. And have a word that you are still suffering withdrawal quite badly....I do so hope that you begin to feel better soon.....it really is WORTH IT....YOU GET YOUR LIFE....AND.......SELF ESTEEM BACK... big hugs to you Samantha....

Have a word with Paul j Turner ..on this site....he is a qualified alcohol worker.....and does many detoxes...he will advise you.....

Take care ..DEIRDRE ccxx

• Posted

Hi Samantha,

i gave up alcohol nearly 5years ago now!

i did join AA and that really helped me, i had someone to phone which helps!

i would say, drink lots of sweet drinks, your body is missing all the sugar that's in alcohol! Also i craved chocolate and cakes! Don't be too hard on yourself, you are recovering from an addiction so your body is missing the alcohol! If you can rest, sleep, most evenings you were probably drunk, so now pamper yourself, have nice baths (i never used to clean my teeth at night, just colapse into bed). Basically change your routine, stay away for now, from pubs, bars etc!

if friends ask, just say you having a break from alcohol for a while! I hope you can stick at it, because believe me being sober is fantasic, you miss so much being drunk!

If i can help in anyway, let me know! Good luck!

• Posted

u must be proud Welsh Girl..5 yrs..me coming up to 3 at xmas
  • Posted

Hi Samantha,

I turned to occasional heavy drinking last August after a series of negative life events (some bad choices, some out of my hands).

Before stopping on 1 August, I had already begun to sweat heavily when not drinking, but these have got much, much worse in the past 10-14 days.  I have poor intolerance to heat, and break-out in heavy sweats when walking or eating hot food or having hot drinks.

I have been torturing Paul, as well as my GPs, asking him about these symptoms for over a week now.  He assures me they will go away quite quickly if I stay off the drink.

I am trying to take heart that, after only two weeks of not drinking very heavily, two of the enzymes that measure live function had already reduced to normal or near normal.

I got myself some high strength Thiamine earlier today and have started on those, apparently heavy drinkers are deficient in same.

Good luck!

Gavin.

• Posted

Samantha,

No, it is not a proper detox to take 8 pills. That is appalling. I don't know what dose you had but it is certainly not appropriate to do a detox like that. It takes around 5-7 days on high doses of Chlordiazepoxide, initially, reducing over the next few days. We normally give people eighty 10mg tablets (although they don't normally need that many).

As Gav said, get some Thiamine from the chemist. Take 100mg twice a day for 4 weeks. That will help the itching and some of your other symptoms too. Heavy alcohol consumption causes a deficiency of Thiamine which causes a number of symptoms and also puts you at risk of alcohol related dementia later in life. Taking it for four weeks should fix the deficiency. However, if a person is drinking, the benefit is limited as they are taking it but losing it by drinking at the same time.

Are you drinking at all now?

• Posted

I've only been able to manage a week in rehab and I don't drink as much as I did since then, but still way to much. But ya I went through some interesting things. Itchy. Felt like bugs crawling on me. Very shaky. Difficulty sleeping. I havnt had these symptoms since. But I was drinking impossible amounts for someone my size, and as soon as I woke up I reached over for the bottle before my smokes. Hard alcohol of course. Drink sleep drink... Ya it wreaked havoc on my body and nerve system. Now, I still drink, but I've attempted to return to life since then, and reduced my intake by a huge amount, again still way to much but I don't have those gross feelings anymore. I thought I had bed bugs cause I could feel things crawling on me but there was never anything there. Worst feeling ever. It will pass. The way I understand it, is the chemicals in your brain have adapted to being altered, and as you become accustomed to sobriety weird things will happen till those chemicals balance out again. Congrats and good luck. Time cures almost anything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.