Detox on the N H S

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi why does it take 9 months of waiting to have an Alcohol Detox on the N.H.S. ? Guess they are so overstreched. So the only route is to go private if one can afford that is.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The annoying thing is, the tablets cost pennies (diazepam), I have home detoxed twice without backup - i.e. no support from any medical staff. I am however married, so there is one responsible adult in the household, should anything happen to me, or I become confused and disorientated.

Diazepam, as it is better known by its brand name Valium, would probably being given by your GP if you had anxiety (although a lower dose). Have you asked your GP? The cost is down to the bed/room and support, plus most of the people they detox will go back on the booze, so they have a why bother attitude.

Detoxing is a relatively simple process that really only takes four days. The problem is the lack of follow up, the lack of knowledge of how alcohol works and lack of medication. Believe me, I've been there, some time after the detox, the alcohol will come calling you and it will only be a matter of time before you have 'just one drink'.

If people are detoxed, they should be put on Campral as soon as they start the detox, to start reversing the neurological change that alcohol has done to the brain. If that fails and the still start drinking, then the can go on to TSM method.

As I have said before, there are three stages to alcohol addiction, physical (not everyone has this, neurological ans psychological and they all need to be addressed, Solving the physical problem only creates a short term stop to the problem.

• Posted

Thank you for replying to my ongoing problem.Yes you have an amazing attitude towards Alcohol.Great respect to you for the knowledge you have acquired over the years.You obviously have done a lot of research into the many issues that we Alcoholics have to endure with the demons at times getting their own way & causing so much chaos in our lives.O K saw my Doctor Yesterday morning.Litterally begging for help -Valium , Librium anything.To quote Doc. " go cold turkey with a lot of will power " No Help there then ! Very cross with Docs attitude so booked private home Detox due to turn up at 7pm with necessary medication.Hopefuully will turn up ? Paid a lot of money for this treatment.Will keep YOU informed on progress. Thank you RHGB for your interest. Regards Susan.

• Posted

Hi, I cannot believe your doc said that  - wants striking off - is he/she off his/her rocker!!!!   I asked my doc for Diazepam because I had read about it being given for 2 weeks when coming off - she at first said no I can't give  you that - my answer to her was, well a couple of years ago you gave it to me for panic attacks - and that is what I will have if I get stressed about withdrawals.  She had a little think then said ok - she gave me two weeks.  I have not actually taken any - just know they are there as a safety valve. 

I looked into Private detox also - and residential.  Decided to go it alone and taper very slowly.  Had a few blips, but keep bouncing back to a couple of  units a night.  I am happy with that.

Let us know how it goes and yes hopefully he will turn up.

Keep going - it must get better for you.

G.

• Posted

I wish you all the best Susan. Important that you keep talking to us, even after detox. Let us know how you are coping. Such a shame you have to detox privately. As usual, a complete lack of compassion from the so called caring professionals

Good replies from all on here

as usual

Kindest Regards

JulieAnne x

• Posted

I was going to reply, but as usual dr RHGB has said it all ( he's absolutely right) his advice from personal experience, is far better than any gp I've seen.

Ive also used campral and would recommend it

• Posted

Hello.Update from yesterday to you Julie-Ann,Gwen and as always lovely Robin.Thank you very much appreciated. After a very prolonged stressful wait the nurse arrived 2 hours late.Not to worry about the panic ! He was a Proffesional in Everything - forms,Medication,blood pressure e.c.t. This morning Hubby woke me up with medication ( Librium so many pills ) also took my Wine away -that hurt when he poured it down the sink.Terrible day.But have made appointment with counsellor for Friday again Private ! Grandchildren will have to go without their presents this year thanks to N H S .Sorry for my Grievments with them...... better not to say anymore 
    • Posted

Hi Susan, good to hear your reply that you are  up and running.  Yes, it does sound like a terrible day. I admire you for "going for it".  This shows how serious you are.  We are all routing for ya honey.

G.

• Posted

Hi Gwen. Thanks for reply.You and RHB are at the moment are  my friends. Sorry that I'm rubbish at the moment - but hopefully will improve.

• Posted

Hi Susan

So glad to hear everything is going as planned. I have assisted my Hubby many times with a home detox. Your husband did the right thing by throwing away your alcohol, we were always told by detox nurse that it's quite dangerous to take Chlordiazpoxide (librium) and continue to drink alcohol. Sounds like you are in good hands. We are all thinking of you.

Kind Regards

JulieAnne x

• Posted

Hello RHGB. You last replied to me 25 days ago regarding my Home Detox.It was going well until I fell and fractured my ankle.So that resulted in me going back to the Wine. I cannot find the instructions which came with Librium.I have 16 10 mg left over and 30 5mg left so i would appreciate your advice as how to start the medication again.I also have Campral but wold like to be sure when i should incorporate that.Thankyou in anticipation of your much needed help.Susan.
    • Posted

Don't really understand if you are housebound how you are back on wine!!

Campral should be taken immediately following detox. Do not drink whilst taking Librium.

My Librium dose was 20mg x4 daily for first two days. Diazapam was much better and a strong night time dose helped.

• Posted

Have you not heard of Internet shopping-they actually deliver to your door !
    • Posted

Okay, it is a little hard to say, not knowing you, your drinking habits and how you react, because everyone is different. But from my own personal (non medically qualified) experience, here goes.

Normally it would be great to get an answer to these questions (nicked from Paul some year's ago)

"1. How much have you been drinking and for how long?

2. How do you cope all day at work without a drink, do you ever have withdrawal symptoms or (this is totally confidential) do you find that you have to top up with a drink during the working day?

3. What happens if you go a full day (24 hours) without a drink? Do you have shakiness, sweating, anxiety and restlessness?"

This would give an indication of how physically and neurologically you were addicted to alcohol.

Just on the leaflet that comes with Librium, it doesn't really tell you anything, but you can download it online - Google 'Librium patient information leaflet' and the first result gives you a link. The issue with Librium is its much shorter half life than diazepam.

So, you have a total of 310mg left. The first two days are usually the worst for most people. Third day much better and fourth day almost back to normal.

I would suggest, first day 30mg x 4 - first thing, Lunch (noon -1:00pm) dinner (5:00/6:00pm) and just before you go to bed (11:00pm). If you do not take the medication before you go to bed, you will wake up in the night feeling awful. (120mg)

Second day, try 20mg x 4, but go back to 30mg if you feel withdrawal effects. (80mg)

Third day, try 15mg x 4 (60mg)

Fourth day, try 10mg x 4 (40mg)

That leaves you 10mg spare. If you need extra at the beginning, take a small amount from day four and then day three in that order. The first two days you should not be at work, you should be at home to rest, because you might feel just a little out of place. A responsible adult should be with you. Ideally I would always want more Librium spare, just in case, but that is not an option. If it doesn't seem to be working, don't drink, go to A&E (responsible adult to drive) and tell them you are having bad withdrawals and they should help you.

The above is for guidance and is not a definitive dosage regime, and someone who knows your history (medically) should be advising you.

PS The day before you start the detox, drink as normally up until midnight or whenever you go to bed - do not get up and drink during the night. Have the medication and a glass of water next to your bed, ready to take the pills in the morning.

• Posted

Yes I have and use it for shopping. I was trying to be lighthearted. Obviously didn't work.

The doseage I quoted was what I was given. Taper down daily. Always take more at night.

• Posted

Thankyou for your spot on advice as always. Now have leaflet on iPad as per your instructions. Yesterday just used a little initiative and took 2 10 mg spaced out,leaving 2nd one before bed ,today have taken 1 10mg so far. No Alcohol since Friday night.Feeling slightly better but as I am taking Codine for ankle pain do not want to overdose. After 3 days might start the Campral.I have GOT to beat this Adddiction to Poison. Thanks again for your help.Susan
    • Posted

Hi Susan.Keep in mind how much better you feel next day. No guilt, not looking for those hidden bottles. Obviously withdrawal symptoms and various aches but your mind is clearer.Robin
    • Posted

Start the Campral as soon as you can, it has no know contraindications. However, it does take a week of taking it for it to kick in. Please make sure you take the Campral soon, you must keep taking it everyday as prescribed. If you do not take the Campral, after the detox, your brain will start to think about alcohol all the time. Eventually you will give in, which is why so many people return to alcohol after detox.
    • Posted

I came on this forum/site for advice NOT for your sarcasm !
    • Posted

Hi Robin.Always good to hear your comments. You are so right about the guilt and the hidden bottles whether they are empty ( in which case where to put them all - the bins get so full it's embarrassing so I take them to other bins ) or if they could be full bottles in which case I have found Treasure - Magic ! But at the moment I'm feeling pretty rough because of all that poison I've poured into into my body.So why do I do it just don't know the answer to that.At the moment iHate Alcohol for what it's done since I started drinking - ruined almost everything in my life. Then other times i crave Alcohol it's like having two separate personalities. Sorry to ramble on but I'm finding it hard to sleep mostly from the " sweating " & Detox drugs I'm takeing and my ankle is so painful.I can't even go for a walk ! Will watch the Grand Priz now even though i know who won.Cheers Robin.

• Posted

Hi Susan, so glad you are going for it.  I totally get what you said about having two personalities.  It is a love/hate relationship with alcohol.  It is so very hard to deal with.  My other half just does not get it.  Anything sends you running to crack open a bottle - with me anyway.  You are right in that it can ruin everything. 

The bins being full resonated with me, yes embarrassing.  I started buying a box of wine instead of bottles so I could crush it flat and put it in the paper refuse bin.  Devious of me I know, but that is how it got me.

I am still on taper down and doing well on it and god willing I can continue.  I would really like to do without, but not sure that will happen.  Main thing is we are trying and not turning a blind eye to it.

Well done and keep going and updating.  Respect to you.

G.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.