Detoxing can be fatal

Posted , 7 users are following.

i read an article from BMA today that said 35 percent of people who try to detox at home, but have hallucinations, die unless they get medical assistance.Well that was me. I can never explain the most horrifying experience I went through 15 months ago when I was hallucinating but i realise God or someone was looking over me.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

HI PaperFairy. Perhaps someone is looking over you after all and you did not die 15 months ago. I overturned my roof whilst glancing at the roadmap at 90 miles an hour 20 years ago: smahed into the central steel barrier of the motorway and then drove into a field and into a ditch. The car was still doing 80 miles an hour and overturned180 degrees, slided on the roof and stopped after 32metres (French police measured this later) and got out with only light internal bleedings, broken ribs and did not die.... PS had not been drinking since on business at the time. Not my day to die...I do think that somebody was looking after me All the best Robin
  • Posted

Thanks Robin. I'm lucky I've got my brother looking over me . Someone said God or ? Saved me for a reason, to help others. IDK ? X
  • Posted

If people get DTs (which is what you are describing) that can be fatal. If a person is medically supported while stopping drinking, this shouldn't happen. It is a complication of alcohol withdrawal and, if medication is taken from early on after stopping drinking, withdrawal symptoms should be kept manageable and not lead to DTs.

DTs stands for Delirium Tremens. This is a serious and potentially fatal condition. I hear a lot of people refer to DTs meaning shakiness. The vast majority of people going through withdrawal, do not get DTs but they increase in likelihood if a person tries to go cold turkey. It DOES sound like you had DTs, Paper Fairy. NEVER allow that to happen again (not that I think you need me to tell you that smile )

• Posted

And God was looking over me in January. 

I remember asking the Dr. if I was going to die...and it was the FIRST time (I have been in hospital detox about 6 times in 2 years).  It was the first time the Dr. said...I DONT KNOW and that they were watching very closely to make sure I was as comfortable as possible.  I was scared sh*tless. 

​It was also the first time that the benzo they were putting in my IV was not working...I was thrashing about....having what felt like mini seizures...jerking head and muscles...and the Nurse stayed with me for over an hour and then called the Dr up....the Dr changed the order for the benzo going in my IV....to be stronger and more frequent...and that started to work. 

​Paper..like me...and like i was told....we don't have too many more chances...if any at all.....its a very scary thing and it p*sses me off...I want a couple of drinks....sometimes...and I know it could kill me.

• Posted

You were lucky; First time I went Cold Turkey, I tried to climb out of a 4th floor window to fight off the monsters trying to get to me - lucky my girlfriend stopped me.

I blacked out and woke with a mouthful of what seemed like chalk - I'd been grinding my teeth.

D,T's are horrific - more realasistic than real life.  

• Posted

Shaking the day after a bender is nothing compared to D.T's. It's so dangerous, so very dangerous. 
    • Posted

would not wish my worst enemy to go through that from what you describend..i personlally did not not but reading your notes and Paper Fairy as well...horrible..great that you stopped drinking and survided!! Robin
    • Posted

Like you Robin, I've never had hallucinations or DT's. Paper fairy told me now horrendous they were. Must be so frightening.

I get nausea, insomnia (worse than normal) and shakiness after a couple of days drinking.

You must be so proud of being sober, you are an inspiration to us all here.

thanks

• Posted

Hi. I've read your posts and thanks.

Unfortunately Ive had the DTs, nothing to do with the shakes, and described on here before..

I think Paul might remember. 

I don't think anyone can understand unless they've had them or been with someone going through it.  My partner was with me, fortunately and saw me go through it, 15 months ago. I can describe but I think I've described it many times and so don't want to go on about it. Though if you've ever seen a scary horror film then thats tame compared to hallucinations. The other time I was hospitalised when it happened. This is what happens when you give up, you'll get there quicker on vodka or gin. 35 percent die if not hospitalised or given meds. I was lucky. Don't go there x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.