Detoxing off methadone

Posted , 4 users are following.

Was on60ml down to 14ml since30ml been going down2ml every5days,when I get to 10ml Gna go down a ml a day,will I b okay doing that?what can I take2help sleep and withdrawals?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I've been tapering off of Methadone also. I started at 80mg. and decreased 5mg. every two weeks. I'm down to 30mg. but have been getting really bad restless leg syndrome whenever I try to go lower. I was prescribed Methadone for RLS. Everything I read says Methadone is the only thing that helps long term. I do want to get down as much as possible but don't want to go back to the way I was, not sleeping at all! It sounds like you're tapering correctly. I know once you get to 30mg. you are supposed to start decreasing at a lesser rate. Good luck! How are you feeling?
    • Posted

Thanks4 message,it is the worst drug and so hard to get off.i feel okay went to 14ml today,in10days I do the rapid detox and am worried guess I need to take it 1day at a time.a lot of it is in ur head.you have done well think ur under half what u started on.i know a few people who r going down 1ml a week it then u ain't Gna suffer much.good luck
  • Posted

Hi Jim,

When I was coming off MST/Oramorph I went down from about 150mg day to about 45mg a day pretty easily but then it got really hideous/evil/want-to-die/shaky-body-legs-everything. In the end I went to my local drugs and alochol services (UK) and they prescribed me Lofexidine/Britoflex - I stopped all my MST on day 2, took the Lofixidine for 3 weeks and only had minor withdrawal compared to tapering (which would have taken me another 6 months of hateful withdrawal).

The only downer is Lofexidine is not prescribed in the US - I believe Clonidine is the nearly-as-good equivalent.

After that it was just the sleeping that was a bother. I tried prescribed sleeping tablets (Zopiclone) but they didn't really do much, and they are pretty addictive. Since then I've used Valerian Root Tea/Capsules to help sleep - pretty good and not addictive, you can buy them in most health food shops or supermarkets, not too pricey.

• Posted

R u in America?im in england.thanks for the tip about root tea Gna look for it as not sleeping is hell.u Defo done a brave thing going down so rapidly I'm glad it payed off 4u
  • Posted

your detox schedule is well planned (especially switching from 2ml to 1ml reductions when you reach 10ml a day), though every 5 days is about as short as you can make a stabilization period for methadone - many people would stay on the same dose for up to 2 weeks before making another dose reduction. You are likely to experience some low-level withdrawals as you drop below 10ml, and perhaps the worst of these (as you are aware) is insomnia.  If you can get sleeping pills prescribed to you by a doctor (eg. zopiclone) that's the best option, otherwise try out some of herbal sleeping remedies (esp. valerian or Kalms).  If insomnia or other WD symptoms get too bad, stay at the same dose level for longer.
    • Posted

When I'm on 10 I go down 1ml a day so hopefully after the ten days I'll be clean,possibly suffer a bit for the week after will Defo ask 4sleeoing tablets.i really want off staying on same dose isn't a option for me even tho it is a sensible one.thanks for your advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.