Devastated - can I mention ankles here???

Posted , 7 users are following.

l had my first appointment with the ankle consultant this morning. And I was actually expecting it to be bad news, just not this bad. There is only one thing he can do for it, something called a Bigfoot triple fusion ( haven't researched it yet so only have a tiny hall of what it involves). It makes the hip replacement seem minor. 2-3 hours surgery, and then 6 weeks non weight bearing and 6 weeks partial. 

Worse, we are now back to the eternal circle. He would need to do it after the hip is 100%. So he's saying at least 6 months, possibly 12, and probably 9. That's my 60th tour of central America gone. Or anything else that requires walking - I am probably going to still be on crutches for another year. Maybe more. 

I am just devastated. After the hip went so well I was thinking I would get my life back. And it's not going to happen.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi beth, 

that is not good ... I am so sorry to hear this - you were so happy with the outcome of your hip surgery and now this ...

Could you get a 2nd opinion?  maybe there is an alternative for the ankle surgery ... Will more damage be done to your ankle when you postpone surgery ..

Don't give up your hope to go your 60th year tour of Central America yet .. it is a great incentive and who knows ...  

big warm hug and of course you can mention ankles here ,...

please come back any time .. you are so loved

renee

• Posted

He actively encouraged me to get a second opinion - and yes I am going to. But, to be honest, what he said didn't actually surprise me (depress, yes - surprise, no). I had kind of hoped that there would be some prosthetic that would do something to help temporarily because I suspected I was going to have the "hip situation" in reverse, and have to wait for one to recover sufficently for the other. And everything about the delay makes sense. Think about it - I will have to keep the right leg entirely off the ground, and even with the crutch that ihavenonickname suggested, that puts an awful lot of pressure on the left leg and hip, which is going to be recovering for several more months yet.

?He said that the damage is done - provided I continue to support the ankle it won't get worse, but if I walked without support too much I will end up probably breaking the tibia again. I think I'll stick with the supports - I've done the broken ankle thing once, and I found it an inconvience! I'll be off the road enough already, without yet another six weeks being unable to use my beloved sportage!

?Fortunately, I have always been lousy at depression - it's not my "personality type"! After a couple of whiskey's that I probably should not have had with my meds last night, I am now in rebound planning mode.

?So the first thing I thought was that I won't be properly able to exercise my border collie for several months now, and need to. I'd been borrowing a friends mobility scooter, but I have taken the plunge and bought one. It will work out nicely because I've bought a better one (reconditioned all-terrain) than my friend could afford, and once I don't need it anymore I can donate it to him, and he can then donate his to someone else who can't afford one. Luckily I work (not rich, but comfortably off) so it's something I can afford to do.

?Downed my meds again today as well - so off the morphine patches now and will see how it goes.

I did have a look at the ankles group, but it doesn't seem to be as much of a community as here. It sort of makes sense, there's so much that can go wrong with an ankle and very very different. With hips, it doesn't matter what went wrong, it's all hip replacement!

?In perspective it could be worse. My friend who I borrow the scooter from, he's just heard from his sister that her husband, who had an accident at work three years ago (the employers fault, but still all in litigation because he is still in treatment) is going to have to have his lower leg amputated. Kind of makes you realise that you aren't as badly off as you feel.

• Posted

Beth I feel so sorry about your ankles and your trip, v disappointing , but you're right, there's always people worse off. The scooter is a good idea, and great that you'll be able to pass it on. Wishing you all the best.

• Posted

How sobring...

Beth, I love the scooter! Great decision. What color?

I admire your drive and courage, big warm hug

did I mention I have hip, femur, knee, ankle, and foot all on one leg.

And now both hands, both elbows, both shoulders, and one lower arm.

Right hand will be the third revision.

• Posted

Red, of course!

Do you get a discount for all that biggrin? I told my consultants that they were not to look at any test results on any joint that didn't hurt, on the basis that every time they did, they found  severe arthritis! My right hip has it to, but touch wood hasn't ever hurt at all so far. And the ankle was the thing that started it all - that is where we found the first signs of arthritis. So if it doesn't hurt, I don't want to know! But it sounds like toy will be the bionic man at the end of all that.

You don't sound so much of a quitter yourself! I just think that "it is what it is" so you just have to get on with life. Like I said, depression just really doesn't "take" with me. I get down like anyone, but it just never lasts. Then I have to come back fighting. I worked hard preparing everything for the hip operation - and given how smoothly it went I was way too well prepared! - so now I am turning my attention to what of that will work for the ankle and what else I need to think about and get to make that as easy as possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.