Devastated need to wait even longer

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my appointment today after my 3rd steroid injection didn't work for my herniated disc. I called not long after I had a car accident in November to see if I could get in to see my consultant..... 7th Feb was the earliest, I did keep calling to see if I could get in earlier. So yesterday I couldn't wait, 3 months off work I was hoping to see some light at the end of my very dark tunnel.........Well there goes another 4 months in pain. He asked how I was so I told him about the accident, that the paramedics advised if i was in any different or worse pain than i know.... i e. Not my normal back pain to go to the hospital. Told him even with all my meds(pegabalin, naproxen, dihydracodeine, as well as venlaflaxine for depression) I'm still in constant pain. So he said I have to have another MRI to see what's changed then I will see him when I've had that done to see which operation is needed. So that's another 4-6 weeks for an MRI and then another 3 months for an appointment, he's always chokka, that's how long I waited when I called after the crash. I was crying saying I can't carry on living like this and he said it's ok I will fix you we'll sort it. But said it like I have all the time in the world, I don't, I need to get back to work, sick pay is ridiculous and tax credits go off the full years earnings. Told him I came to the doctors in the hospital the day after the crash and they said just keep taking your pain meds you have all we can give you, was given oramorph by my doctor a week or so after that. I said they weren't working and he said your doctor can sort that out!!!!! I went for a full spinal xray then home.

I'm fuming cause my doctor does nothing!! 😢😢😢 I'm devastated, I actually don't know how I feel - I'm just number.

I did call the consultants secretary to see how long the waiting list for an appointment is as of now, she was excellent I must admit, the next appointment? 2nd May. So that's booked in and hopefully if I get the MRI scan in before the 6 weeks, she said to call and she will see if she can get me in before 2nd May. This would then mean a good few months before surgery surely? Well, that's me and my family totally in debt - the woman who crashed into us has a lot to answer for, christmas was ruined. She went through a red light, we have a witness and the police did nothing. I suffer with depression and anxiety, which was getting better, my 3rd injection (28th September) I was seeing a real difference in my pain, hardly any with light pain relief, all exasterbate by that silly, woman.

I'm at a loss what to do, I don't know what to feel.

How long have people waited from appointment to surgery? I will lose my job, I needed to move - planned before the accident, now can't do it.

Sorry to go on and on but I feel so low and in so much pain, the doctor keeps telling me there's nothing much they can do........

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry Sandie-pants,

We all feel depression from this kind of pain, we often lose family and friends, there are no groups for us to join. I know how u feel. I have been in pain and had fusion surgery but I still have pain 24/7. I am on strong meds but it doesn't help. I think maybe it is the pain meds keeping me in pain. It is so hard. Then no one really listens. I feel your pain and I am sorry. It is good you are talking about it. I know how you feek.

Emily333

• Posted

Omg you sound as frustrated as me. I hurt my neck in march last year,I have a disc bulge at c5/c6 which has trapped a nerve,it took months to get diagnosis,then sent to orthopaedic triage to see physio who was so rude n told me my problems come from caring for my disabled husband and I should take a break from him,I was so disgusted I put complaint in,then to see a consultant who said I should have a steroid injection which has made my headache and other symptoms worse,I see him again in 2 weeks,I know he's gonna say I need another injection but the thought of that is not appealing at all,if I had more money I'd go private. He doesn't want to listen that the pain is unbearable the tingling in my face arms and hand feels like my flesh is crawling. It's been nearly a year if it was gonna get better it would have

• Posted

Hi sandie-pants

?One thing I learned in getting my recent surgery - if the doctor/surgeon does not fit then you have to go to other surgeons for second or other opions - the MRI and Xrays you have done are yours and you can request copies for yourself - that is exactly what I did and I took them with me to 4 separate surgeons before I had my surgery - they get it and people make changes all the time - you can't feel hostage to your current doctor - I had surgery booked with my first doctor then decided to get a second opion and cancelled my first scheduled surgery with my first surgeon - I saw three more and in the end went with the surgeon I felt most comfortable with which ended up being my second - I am in NY city and was lucky to have some of the best of the best spine surgeons around, but I have to tell you it has to come down to who you feel the most comfortable with and who you feel wants to get you pain free with the least invasive surgery possible - I had no choice on my end due to my scoliosis and major curve so I had to have L3-S-1 fusion - all four surgeons recommended and said the exact same thing so I knew what I ended up having to do. 

Remember as hard as it seems and as much as you feel you need to always follow the doctors recommendations, you are in control of anything that happens to your body and you decide who, when, where and how you will be treated based on several opions and doctors recommendations.

All the best

Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.